Chapter 12: Dealing with the problem

-Hey Steve. Sorry I'm calling this late. It's just that I stepped by your place earlier today and you weren't home, and Jill said she'd give you the message to call me back, Danny said already knowing I'd be upset for his interruption, but it wasn't his fault after all.

-Don't say, I said inside growling. What was with this kid? Probably it was something important, maybe a work thing, and she didn't give me the message.

-I wanted to remind you that we still have your sister's ex in custody, so you have to decide if you're gonna charge him for kidnapping Jill or not. If you do, and I'm sure you will, we'll need Jill's testimony and..., he was saying when I interrupted him lowering my voice tone just in case.

-No. I don't want to involve Jillian in this anymore. There must be a way to handle this situation without her, I said firmly. My sister was not gonna be related with this guy anymore. Besides, she was never gonna testify against him. She's pretty thickhead.

-We can't man, he said sighing in frustration, Without her, we have nothing against this guy. We need her to testify that she was in that car and that he had a gun at least.

-Keep him in custody till tomorrow morning, ok? I'll talk to him and see if I can get a deal or something. That way we won't need Jill, I said quickly coming up with a solution. Yes! Finally an easy one. Besides I was really looking forward to exchange another few words with this guy.

-Wow, wow. Bad idea bro. You're gonna lose control if you talk to him. You know it better, he said throwing my idea away immediately.

Ok. I know I have a very complicated temper, but that didn't mean I was gonna kill this guy. Danny was overreacting, as usual. Still I should beat him a little bit more. He deserves it after all.

-I'm a pro Danny. I can control my temper, I said quite annoyed by his comment, I'm not a child dude. I'm in the force after all.

-Alright, but if we have nothing against him, I'll have to release him tomorrow morning. You have until then to see what to do. Now I need to go to sleep, he said yawning. Poor him, probably he had to tell Gracie a bedtime story yet. All I wanted to do was to put my head on my soft pillow.

-Yeah, me too. Thank you bro. I'll see you tomorrow, I said and quickly hung up the phone.

I wanted to put my phone in vibrate, so I could have a night of peace without any kind of interruptions. Unfortunately, I couldn't do that, cuz I could get a call from work. Oh please, please, aloud me to sleep quietly till tomorrow. I BEG YOU. No nightmares, no work calls... just a quiet moment.

I couldn't find that peace I was looking for in my pillow. Problems kept on coming to my head. I was worried about next morning interrogation. I had to convince this guy to confess, because there was no way my sister was gonna testify against him. I guess he was counting with it. I couldn't understand why does she care that much about him. I mean, he tried to kill her. He used my sister's feelings against her, so she'd get into his car, full of drugs and alcohol. Why does she cares so badly about someone who doesn't care about her? Besides I was sure that if we released Brian, he'd go back after my sister. And I couldn't keep an eye on her the 24 hours of the day, even if I wanted to.

I got up in the middle of the night and went to the kitchen. I really don't know why I do this every time I can't sleep. I walk straight to the kitchen and open the fridge, look inside as if I'm gonna find my answers in there, behind the milk and the eggs. I stayed there staring at the fridge for a good couple of minutes and then I decided to check on my sister again.

I slightly opened her door and sneaked my head into the room. I saw Jill laid on her bed, deep asleep. I sat down next to her on the bed, caressing her hair and stroking her side. I didn't want to wake her. It's just that I had the feeling she was having sort of a nightmare. You know, when you're looking someone sleep, and you see that they mumble things, move a little bit and all that. Finally she stopped moving around, so I kissed her forehead and walked back to my bedroom. I guess I found that peace I was looking for into the fridge, because I had that deep sleep night I desperately needed.