Chapter 32: A reckless moment

In just a couple of minutes I drove to a place far away from the center of Honolulu. I could see Jill getting intrigued more and more as time passed by, but at the same time so excited she didn't make any of her usual suspicious questions. Once we got there she just hopped off the car with me and we walked together inside building until I spotted my friend. When my sister saw a big frame bald guy coming toward us is when finally the question came.

-Steve, what are we doing here?, she asked me not without certain confusion in her voice..

-We're here to meet my good friend Joe, I said as I saluted to my former SEAL commander, also my dad's best friend. At least he used to be.

-Commander McGarret. It's good to see you, he said saluting as well.

-It's good to see you too sir. This is my sister Jill, the one I mentioned over the phone, I said smiling to my old man's friend while gently pushing Jill in front of me.

Instead of just saying hello, Jill thought it'd be better to use me as a hidding spot, like a 5 years old. I just giggled at her antics while shaking my head and gave Joe a look.

-Soldier! Come out and salute your commanding officer properly, Joe called my sister as she jumped a little with his stern tone of voice.

Amazing how Jill responded to him. She immediately stood in front of me, saluting Joe with her little green eyes popping out of her face. I knew she'd loose it once she gets to know Joe. He's actually a very cool man, but when it's time to work, he wastes no time in games.

-Now that's better. You can leave now Steve. Don't worry. She's in good hands, Joe said while nodding his head to dismiss me.

-Indeed, I said and not two seconds later I had a pair of tiny arms wrapped tightly around my waist.

-You're leaving? You can't leave me here!, she said giving me puppy dog eyes.

I gently ran my fingers through her blonde hair before ripping her off me.

-You'll be ok with him babygirl. He's the man who trained me and he'll do an amazing job with you. Please behave. I'll see you later, I said kissing her cheek.

-Alright soldier! Let's start with a few laps around the gym. Go, go, go!, I heard Joe's voice when I turned around.

I had to hold a laughter when I heard that. Sure Joe would teach Jill some discipline. There's no other option with him, and there's no other option if you want to learn something so complicated as CQC. Plus side, she'd spend her time getting off all that hyperactivity of hers and learning some boundaries. Plus plus side, she'd spend less time with Zeth. Not that I don't like the kid, but I guess it's healthy to spend one or two days apart.. and apart of her phone mostly.

To be honest with you, it'd have been better for me to stay at home with Jill than going to work. It was pretty much the same, since nobody let me do anything *coughs* Daniel *coughs*. Anyway I took my time to check out the latest moves of our dear friend Brian and, even when he was out of the radar in Boston, he was certainly not here. Better that way. He can move to Alaska with a bunch of penguins if it pleases him, as long as he doesn't come anywhere near the island. If he even puts a foot on the airport, he'll have to deal with me. And believe me, he so doesn't want a second round with me.

I went to pick up Jill a couple hours later. I was sure that, by that time, she'd be laying on the floor begging for a break, and that is exactly how I found her. She saw me and instantly fell on my arms for me to carry her. Oh no, not again.

-Come on Jill. Get up, I told her but she didn't move. She was mumbling tons of complaints.

-You never told me this was a suicide mission, she whined barely opening one eye to look at me. Just in that moment I glanced at Joe and he gave me half smile.