Chapter 9: Putting the mess behind

-Owwie, that hurts Steve, she said with a pout and struggling. I limited myself to sigh. She was giving me so much trouble with this. She was acting more like a toddler than a teenager. Why didn't I have a surprise feeling about it?

-Stay still Jill. I know it hurts but I gotta clean that wound before it gets infected, ok?, I said wetting her forehead with alcohol.

I have to say I thought she'd be much worse. I mean she got a pretty hard hit on her head, but that was it. Just a few very small bruises on her back, but no serious wounds. I truly believe she has an angel watching upon her since the time she was born. I cannot even count with my hands and toes how many times she's been in danger so far.

-I know, but still... is that really necessary?, she said scratching the chair, trying her best not to move. Oh come on, she was acting like a baby. It doesn't hurt that bad. Lucky her she didn't need stitches.

-Well yes, unfortunately it is. The doctor said I had to clean again once we get home and every six hours. There, just let me cover it, I said next finishing with this task and getting ready for the next one, Now I want you to explain me, what in heaven were you thinking Jill? Why did you end up in Brian's car?

-It's a long, long story bro and I truly believe you don't wanna hear it, she said dropping her head, staring at the floor. I looked down to meet her eyes with a stern look.

-I've got plenty of time, I said taking seat on her bed, So?

I folded my arms and stared down at her. She sighed before starting to tell me her story.

-Well I met Brian a year ago, back in Boston. He works in a shop near home, and we became friends really fast. We both have family issues, so we understood each other easily. One thing led to another and we ended up kissing. After that, he told me he wanted us to be together, so we started seeing each other almost everyday. I used to go to his place every time mom was away and I felt lonely. I swear Stevie, he has been very sweet with me. A very close friend, almost like a brother to me except for, you know... but I realized the fact that he was too old for me, even when I loved him with all my heart. We both needed to date people of our own age, and I told him that. He didn't take it very well. I think he actually never accepted the fact that we couldn't be together. Then he started drinking and cutting himself. He called me everytime he was drunk, and I tried to comfort him. And every single time I tried to make him understand we weren't together anymore, he threatened me with killing himself. I couldn't let that happen Steve, I love him. He called when I was here and said that he'd come to Hawaii to meet me. I said I was ok with it, just because I thought it was the best thing to do. That maybe I'd be able to convince him if he was here...

-Do you even realize that you arranged an appointment with an emotionally unstable drunk guy much older than you?, I said frowning and she frowned back so I made silence as she kept on with her story. It was getting interesting after all (totally ironic).

-But when I met him and I saw he was drunk I tried to escape from there but he said that he'd kill himself right there if I walked away from him again, and that it'd be my fault, and that he's been always there for me whenever I needed him, she said and started to cry, I'm so sorry Steve, I didn't mean any of this to happen. Then he forced me to get into his car and started talking about going to live together... I-I just didn't know what else to do. I didn't want him to hurt himself, but I also didn't want to go with him. I was just so scared.

She was crying so hard now that she wasn't able to keep talking.

-Shhh calm down baby girl. You're gonna start with hiccups if you don't. You're with me now. I won't let anyone to hurt you, I said hugging her tight and rubbing her back, whispering the last few words while kissing the top of her head.