Chapter 26: Being a guardian

I wasted no words and no time. I quickly took my shirt off and jumped from the boat, paddling to the direction I thought the scream came from. I couldn't imagine what was happening, but it had to be something terrible for my sister to shout the way she did. She sounded extremely distressed. Luckily they obeyed my order not to go far, so it didn't take me long to find them.

-What happened?, I said as I helped Jill to help Zeth not to drown. He seemed terribly in pain, and apparently couldn't move his arm.

-I don't know... a jellyfish... on his shoulder... can't move his arm, she said half drowning, half hyperventilating.

Danny arrived to the scene just in time to help my sister to calm down as we swam back to where the boat was, and where Cath and Rachel were waiting for us pretty much scared.

-Damn it hurts, Zeth said with a growling as I was carrying his butt to the boat.

-Calm down. Let me take a look of it... ouch. It was a pretty big one, but I'll take care of it. You're not allergic that you know of, are you?

-No... I-I think not.

-Then you should be fine. Hey Cath, would you get me the emergency kit?, I said as she flew downstairs to get it.

Meanwhile, Rachel was harassing my sister asking her if she was ok, as Danny was trying to explain her that it was Zeth who was not ok. Cath handed me the kit as I took care of Zeth's wound. Crap, it didn't look good, but it didn't look bad enough to take him to emergencies, that was for sure. Once I was done, I told him to take a pill for the pain, since they'd be a very uncomfortable couple of hours until the medicine takes effect.

After the whole show calmed down, Zeth was trying to get some rest downstairs as I was staring at the horizon, like everytime I'm mad at myself.

-Hey calm down man, Danny said patting my back as I shot a glare to him. Calm down... easier said than done.

-Calm down? His parents are gonna kill me! Don't you realize I'm responsible for that kid?, I spat to my friend and he shut his mouth.

I didn't know what to do. Zeth was fine after all, but if I were his father, I wouldn't be too happy about me... if you get what I mean.

-Steve come on. It was an accident and if anything you just saved Zeth. I don't think they'll kill you, Jill said while standing by my side.

-Well I'd kill someone if you got hurt during a trip, I said looking at her.

I wasn't lying. Even when it was an accident, when you're responsible, you're responsible. You can't reason with a worried parent. I know that too well.

-You're being ridiculous! He got hurt, big deal. It could have been me, and it'd still not be your fault, she shouted.

-What you don't seem to understand is that it doesn't matter if it was my fault or not. I'm responsible for whatever that happens to him. You think that his parents are going to care if it was an accident or not? They care about his kid, as they should do.

-WHATEVER. Be that way if you want. I'm done, she said stomping out of the place and going downstairs with Zeth.

There was an incredible silent for a few minutes. Cath was sitting down pretending she didn't hear a thing. Rachel excused herself to go check on Gracie and my pale Danny was staring at me. Ok why am I the bad guy in this situation?

-You know... she's kind of right Steven. Look I know what you mean. I have a daughter, and I know worried parents too. We've worked together in quite a lot of abductions cases so I get your point. But I don't think it's about that. It's about you.