Chapter 34: Not going back

-Steven sweetheart, what are you talking about?, the apparently shocked voice of my mother answered on the other side of the phone.

I took a deep breath trying to find the words to explain the situation to my mother. One thing was for sure: Jill was not coming back.

-It's just that I've been thinking... about what you said that day you came here. About becoming Jill's legal guardian. And I want to do it mom, I want to go through with it, I said with tons of determination crystal clear in my voice.

I thought my mom would be happy or at least not fully interested. This was her plan all along and it had worked perfectly. Instead of that she showed herself slightly mysterious for a couple seconds of her delayed answer.

-Oh Steve... you know I think we should have this conversation face to face. I was planning on taking a flight soon to visit Jill anyways. I'll fly myself there tomorrow, ok?, she said and I dreaded what she wanted to talk about.

She wouldn't fly herself here just to say "Ok, here's my daughter". My mother had other plans that me and Jill were uncertain about yet, but we'd find out soon. Once my mom comes back to Hawaii.

That night Jill and I had had an early dinner because we were both exhausted. She had spent so much time in the phone with Zeth I had to actually threaten her to go to bed or else. She immediately dropped her phone and buried herself deep in her sheets, not wanting to face me too times in a row. I contently went to bed when I heard her snoring like usual and myself fell in a deep slumber.

A poking finger wake me up in the middle of the night, and it took my eyes a few seconds to adjust to the darkness and discover and blond small framed figure standing right on the edge of my bed, trembling like a leaf.

-Babygirl, what's wrong?, I jumped out of bed feeling alarmed.

-Shhh Steve. There's someone in the house, she spoke with her voice barely above a whisper.

-Babe what are you talking about? You heard noises?, I said running my fingers through her hair to calm the poor thing.

-I saw... there's someone in the living room, she trembled even more and hugged me tightly.

For a moment I felt panic go through my veins. I knew I had many enemies in Hawaii but no one would ever dare to break in my house. Not if they want to live.

-Stay here and lock the door. Don't you dare to disobey me, I said quickly carrying her to my bed and going to my closet to get my gun out of my safety box. I charged it under Jill's terrified look but there was no time for me to comfort her. I had to get that someone out.

I slowly and quietly got out of my bedroom, my gun in front of me all the time. I shut the door and instantly heard it being locked. I took a few steps towards the living room when I spotted a figure laying on the couch. I quickly got in front of it but the man seemed to be peacefully sleeping in my couch. I reached the lamp of the table and turned it on.

-Oh my God! What the hell!!

-What the... DANIEL, I shouted at him still pointing at him with my gun as he had his arms raised in the air.

-Would you mind pointing that somewhere else?, he frowned barely daring to move a muscle.

I rolled my eyes and took the charge out of my gun and then left it on the coffee table.

-Would you mind telling me what the hell are you doing in my house at three am?, I said as I saw Jill running this way, wearing my shirt again and... with a broom?

-Wow, wow, wow. Stop, stop, stop, stop, Daniel said already seeking for cover beneath his arms, but I had stopped the broom before it hits him with my hand.