Chapter 3: The calm before the storm

A beam of light reached my eyes and woke me up from my slumber. I slightly opened my eyes and looked around me. All the room was invaded off warm tones of yellow and orange, contrasting with the blue horizon through my window. Everything was so peaceful, like every sunrising in the island. Man I had sweat a lot. Probably I was very agitated night during my nightmare. I still could feel a big hole in my chest, so it was a little bit hard to breathe for me. But then I noticed something strange when I tried to stretch my arms like I do every morning. I looked down and found the most cute scene in the world: Jill was deep asleep, her head on my belly and her arms wrapped around my waist. She was so peaceful that I didn't want to wake her up right then, so I stayed in bed watching her sleep and slightly caressing her hair for a little while. I think I may have fallen asleep as well at some point for at least another 30 minutes, until the bright of the sun didn't let me close my eyes again. Time to get up.

-Hey monkey, time to wake up, I said in a whisper kissing the top of her head. I saw her blink a few times and then look at me, her lips pursed in a pout.

-Now? I'm too comfortable, she said snuggling her head into my chest and closing her eyes again. This was not gonna be easy, but I just giggled and tried again.

-Seriously sis, we cannot waste this beautiful sunny day. I'm sure you wanna go to the beach, am I right?, I told her caressing her hair to keep her awake, otherwise she wouldn't delay a second in going back to her dreams and her fairy tale world. It was very hard to get her out once she was there.

-Hmm. Yeah I wanna go to the sea... but we can go later, right? The sun is not going anywhere until later, she said smiling at me, her eyes still closed. Always trying to get her way.

-Hmp don't push your luck sis. C'mon, up young lady, I said energetically and patted her butt to give her some incentive. She shot her eyes open with a pout and looked at me.

-That still hurts Steve, she complained rubbing her tanned behind. I sighed as I remembered my dream, product of my guilt. I looked down at her a little bit sad.

-I thought you hated me..., I trailed off feeling a knot in my throat interrupting my sentence when I remembered my dream of last night. What I felt inside, when I thought she was gone, it felt so real. I felt so desperate, without knowing what to do.

-Well I wasn't exactly happy with you last night, but at least I know you worry about me. You know, when you stopped coming to visit me, I thought you didn't care about me anymore. I thought that maybe you had found something better than me here, she said with a few tears on her eyes. I hugged her tight, brushing a few tears that had escaped with my thumb.

-Don't you ever think that again Jill, I kissed the tip of her nose, I love you and I'll always love you. No matter how much of a troublemaker you are, I told her in a mocking tone of voice, though I was damn serious.

-Ok, I'll take your word for it, she said sitting on the bed and staring into my eyes when I noticed concern in hers.

-Are you gonna make me eat veggies at breakfast bro?, she said with her lips pursed in the cutest pout I've ever seen. I laughed a bit at her childish methods.

-You know it's not a bad idea, now that you suggest it... but no, I think you'd get sick. Don't think you're not having them for lunch though. Come on, let's go find something to have for breakfast for now, I said quickly getting up from my bed and walking towards the kitchen, my sister hot on my heels.

-So, since you're not making me eat those disgusting green things I assume you have another natural and healthy food for breakfast, she said while sitting on the counter next to me.

-Well actually no, I don't. You see i have a little addiction to Cheerios, I countered showing her a huge box of cereal. Those things drive me crazy. She looked at me with her eyes widen and a huge smile on her face.