Chapter 29: The one in charge

Steve's POV

I woke up a few hours after Jill left me sleep for the last time. I had no idea what time was it, but all I knew was that I was hungry as a tiger. I'm no doctor, but I assume that must be a good sign of recovering. I felt more vital now that I had a few hours of deep sleep, knowing Jill was safe in the house and Danny was taking care of our cases, including Brian's. I think I cannot remember the last time I just let time pass by, laid on my bed, staring at the roof. It was quite relaxing actually, I liked it. I didn't feel bad about not be doing nothing, because in Daniel words, "I had nothing to be doing but resting".

There was a time that my stomach started to roar so badly that I decided to get up and see what could I eat. In the precise moment my sister arrived with a plate of soup. Awesome.

-You seem to be reading my mind, I told her with a smile, sitting on the bed.

We were both in a much better mood, since she got what she wanted and me too: she was safe and I rested as I was commanded to by her.

-It wasn't me actually, she said with a shy smile while blushing, Someone thought you'd need this, so he stopped by and left it for you.

-Someone? He? Your boyfriend was here?, I asked again jumping to my first (and more likely) conclusion.

-He ain't my boyfriend... yet. But yes. Zeth stopped by a few minutes ago. Don't worry, we just talked sitting down on the front steps. He said his mother made this for you to feel better.

-Huh. How kind of his part, I said trying so hard not to doubt of his purposes. He seemed like a nice kid, but you never know honestly.

-I know, she said laying on her belly besides me while I was eating. She was wearing that smile, that tells on her all the time she's been with Zeth.

-So what you've been doing all day? I don't even know what time is it, I asked her as she glanced at her watch. How many she has of those? I swear she's been wearing a different color for like a week now.

-It's exactly... 5.37 pm. I know it's early for dinner, but you seem hungry, she said watching eat my soup like a hungry bear eats his meal.

-I've been sleeping all day?, I said raising my eyebrows in surprise.

I've never ever slept that much. Something always wakes me up when I fall asleep.

-Considering the few hours you've had of sleep for the past two weeks, I'd qualify that as perfectly normal, she said rolling her eyes. Of course she does. If I wouldn't wake her up, she could sleep for days and days without stopping.

-Well I only needed a short rest. I feel alot better now, I said setting the bowl aside to avoid making a mess while she fetched the thermometer.

-Let's see... well you don't have temperature anymore, so the medicine it's working. However that doesn't mean you can go back to work. You'll have to wait until tomorrow at least, she said while a manicure finger was shoved between my eyebrows.

-Yes ma'am. What's going on with you, all stern?, I asked her with a giggle. She giving me orders? It was a funny thing to see.

-You make me upset when you don't look after yourself.

-The feeling is mutual, believe my words. Don't worry, I don't plan to go to work unless they need me tomorrow, I said rubbing her back to calm her down. She gets like a little fury beast when I upset her.

-You'll stay here with me then?, I heard while a small bulge snuggled right to my side and I smiled warmly.

-Is that what this is all about? Me staying here with you instead of going out to work?, I asked her lowering my look to meet her eyes but these quickly dropped.