Chapter 22: Broken trust

-What's your excuse this time Jill?, I said while folding my arms on my chest, burning her down with my strong look. She gulped a couple times before speaking.

-I... I don't have one, but I do want you to know that I only did it because I was really upset. I wasn't thinking clearly, she admitted without meeting my look.

-Do you think that's good enough Jill?, I said while staring down at her, You say you were pissed off, but that doesn't give you a free pass for you to go and do whatever you want, something you were told specifically not to do, mostly for your own safety.

-I know that. I was just acting impulsive. I'm not saying that makes it right, but I never meant to betray your trust Steve. Th-that's... really important to me, and even when I know I don't deserve it, I still want you to give me a second chance.

I waited a bit and soon she raised her look to meet mine.

-Please Stevie. I'm really sorry about what happened, today and yesterday too.

I stood there kind of shocked for a few seconds. I wasn't expecting that speech from my sister. She seemed so... mature for her age. I knew she didn't mean to betray me, yet she didn't stop to think all this until it was too late, something she seriously needs to start learning.

-I understand what you're saying. Yet you should have thought about that before you acted by impulse. You were grounded and it was perfectly clear to you, and I've told you thousands of times since you got here that you don't go into the sea until I say so. What was that all about?, I added next frowning my brows, showing her how upset I was that she dared to put herself in danger that way.

-One of Zeth's friends, Fred... he's really rude and mean to me and he dared me to catch a wave in front of all of them. I didn't listen to him at first, but when you left this morning I was so furious and hurt that I just wanted to kick someone's butt really bad, and I figured out that I'd feel better if I took his challenge and prove him wrong.

I took a deep breath to calm myself as the only thing I could feel was disappointment that my sister would put herself in danger just to prove an idiot wrong.

-But I was so wrong. When I was about to do it... I don't know, I just couldn't fail you that way. I couldn't stab you on the back like that.

-I am glad you made at least one wise decision in this day Jill. I'm glad you didn't do it, and it's not because I don't believe in you or your skills. It's because it's a new thing for you, and you could get hurt. Then who would help you if something goes wrong? Your friends? They're all kids like yourself.

-I thought about that too, she told me lowering her look, Please Stevie. I'm very sorry about what happened. I really am.

-I know that you are babygirl, I said while sitting on the bed with her, But the truth is that you pushed it too far this time. Yesterday you disobeyed me by arriving 20 minutes later than the time you were told. Now you go behind my back and sneak out to go to the beach, in order to accomplish a challenge that was strictly against the rules we set when it comes to your surfing lessons.

-But I didn't even get into the water, she said looking at me, afraid for a moment that she'd lose her surfing privileges. Honestly? I was seriously thinking about it. If I couldn't trust her, then there was no way I'd let her to be on a board all by herself.

-It was your intention anyway, wasn't it?, I countered looking right into her eyes, and she knew I just defeated her in this argument.

-Yes sir, she said while slightly nodding her head, Again, I'm really sorry about it.

-Unfortunately we both know that sorry doesn't cut it this time. Maybe your punishment will teach you to think twice before doing something you'll regret later.