Chapter 38: The trial

-All rise. Department One of the Superior Court is now in session. Honorable judge Fitzgerald presiding. Please be seated.

We all took our seats at the same time the judge did. I gulped the huge knot in my throat and prepared myself for the worst battle I had ever had.

-Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Calling the case of McGarrett vs Clelland for the custody of the minor Jillian Malie Clelland. Are both sides ready?, judge Fitzgerald asked to the hungry lawyers that stood at being spoken to.

Cassandra affirmed that we were in fact ready and so did my mom's lawyer. I shared a quick cheering look with my sister before posing my eyes on my mother. I truly didn't want to do this. There was something about it that made my guts twist, but she really didn't give me much of a choice.

The opening statements were really really long. I rubbed my face every once in a while, wishing it could be over already. Man lawyers can talk, and fortunately family cases were Cassandra's expertise. I had no doubt she'd do anything to win the case, but that in fact was what had me worried the most. She'd win this case one way or another, and there was one way I wouldn't like for sure.

First was my mom to testify. She firmly made her way through the room before taking a seat to raise her right hand. After all the formalities, her lawyer took the lead. He basically pointed out her rights as a mother and that there was absolutely no reason why she should give up custody, especially to her son.

-Hillary, answer me something. Do you love Jill?, the lawyer asked and my mom instantly smiled.

-With all my heart. She's my daughter, she answered quickly with no doubt.

-And have you not ever put Jill's needs before yours?, he carried on with his plan and my mom again answered quickly.

-Of course. She is first in my life before anything, the convincing answer came again.

After this the lawyer gave permission to Cassandra to question my mother. She first rearranged a few papers over the desk and took quick look of a few notes before raising slowly and walking until she was eye to eye with my mother.

-Is that true Mrs. Clelland? You have always put Jill first before anything?, she asked her as she approached to the strand.

-I believe I have. I've always tried to, my mom answered again without any signs of hesitation, but Cassandra knew better and didn't buy it for a second.

-So your multiple previous relationships and marriages just happened to go in the way, Cassandra blurted out before my mom's lawyer could object.

-Objection! That is not a question your honor, he complained loudly.

-Sustained. Please calm down Mr. Cooper, we're just getting started, judge Fitzgerald told Cassandra so she carried on with a much softer tone... for the moment.

-Mrs. Clelland, how many marriages have you had since your divorce with John McGarrett?, she asked and before she was even finished my mom's lawyer opened his mouth again, only this time she was ready.

-Objec...

-It is to evaluate how Mrs. Clelland has protected her daughters environment. How many and especially what type of men have lived under her roof concerns to her safety, Cassandra said quickly without taking her eyes off my mom.

-I'll allow it, the judge said and showed herself interested in this question.

-I've had 3 previous marriages, mom answered coldly with fire in her eyes towards my lawyer.

-Including your current marriage with Noah Syverson?, Cassandra kept questioning the nervous woman in front of her.

-No. That'd be my 4th marriage after John, my mom said in a tone that gave away just how displeased she was with my lawyer's questions.