Chapter 17: Opening up

Steve's POV

I thought I'd solve this case more quickly, but unfortunately this guy we caught gave us a fake lead, and we all fell like idiots. Now we had no idea where begin to look for and I felt very frustrated. Everytime this happens everyone's looking at me like "What now?". What the hell, I don't know what now. I know I'm supposed to have the answer, because I'm the head of this squat. It was just another puzzle I couldn't figure out.

I was alone in my office, so I decided I could give Jill a call, and maybe give some peace to my mind. I wasn't happy at all with leaving her alone, but I really didn't have any options.

She didn't answer me right away, but when she did she sounded... weird.

-Hey Stevie, she said with a happiness that surprised me. Well, better that way then.

-Hey babygirl, I just um... wanted to check everything's ok, I said trying to see if I could take some hint to find out what was on her mind. I bet this has to do with that guy we ran into earlier.

-Everything's fine brother. You worry too much, you knew that?, she said with a giggle. I think I heard someone else's giggle along with hers.

-Do I? Seriously?, I said ironically as I glanced Danny standing outside my office, Look I gotta get back to work. Call me if you're in trouble or something, ok?

-Yeah sure. By Stevie, she said not even listening to what I just said to her.

I was about to say something but she hanged up. I was just standing in the middle of my office, frozen, staring at the screen of my phone when Danny came in.

-Steve, you have sec... what's wrong with you... HEY, he said snapping his fingers in front of my face, We have a lead. Come back to reality.

-Yeah sure, I said shoving the phone into my pocket and following Danny through the halls.

-What happened?, Danny asked me in a whisper before we get with Chin and Kono.

-Nothing, I said looking down, But Jill... I don't know, she was weird. She was like happy weird.

-You scared me moron, he said with a snort, not giving importance to the matter.

Ok, don't believe me, but something's going on. Lucky me, this time I have Cath to look after for her while I'm working, but I couldn't tell you guys what was more dangerous.

Jill's POV

I kept on wondering why Zeth, even when he looks at me like he wants to kiss me right now, hadn't asked me out yet. Maybe something was stopping him... or somebody. Yeah, before going on a date with him, I had to make my own homework. I can't have another Brian, so I better figure out who is this guy before making my next move. Only... I really didn't know how I was gonna do this.

This frustrates me a lot. I like to have certain control over the situation I'm handling, and just not being able to know what Zeth wanted from me, it made me feel vulnerable. I think he noticed it, because he sat down next to me on the sand and talked to me.

-Hey, something wrong?, he asked me looking at me with those gorgeous eyes. Oh shit.

-No, not at all, I said moving a piece of my hair from my face, Don't worry about me. Go surfing with your friends, I added tilting my head to point Zeth's friends surfing on the sea.

-Nah, I'm not really into surfing, he said shrugging his shoulders, They taught me because... well, they say I cannot live in Hawaii and don't know how to surf, but the truth is it's not my passion.

-It is mine, I said looking at the others having fun on the waves, I've only been on the sea once, and I absolutely loved it. It felt... like freedom you know.