Chapter 40: My babygirl

-How the hell did this happen Danny? How inefficient I can be?, I couldn't help to ask before my friend rolled his eyes at me.

I looked at my partner leaning against the wall of the hallways, right outside the room where we had that bastard locked. I had asked my sister to remain in the other interrogation room so I could catch up with this case.

-Mind you, the blame is on all of us. That fucking bastard is way smarter than we thought. He was good at covering his tracks, and was patient until the opportunity showed up, Danny explained to me and I shot my eyes at him worriedly.

-What opportunity was that?, I asked as my left eyebrow curled up.

-Steve... we think he's responsible for the murder and supplantation of a member of the plane crew. We're trying to make him tell us where the body is but he's not talking, Danny admitted and it was like a kick in the stomach.

I felt so much anger, so much disappointment in me that I forcefully punched the wall in front of me with a loud grunt.

-Dammit Daniel! This is all on me. I let the son of bitch go, I grumbled not caring for the pain and inflamation on my right fist for the moment.

-Would you shut up for once? I don't care about what the lawyer said today, you're not inefficient. You're human and you cannot take responsibility for everything that happens in this bloody island, my best friend frowned at me in a paternal way he gets on when it's needed.

-Now with the important stuff. How do we make him tell us where the body is?, I said and combed my short hair backwards in frustration.

Danny looked just as defeated as I was feeling. The man missing had a family, friends, a life... we had to at least get justice for him, even when it didn't feel like enough in the moment.

-I may know how, my sister's delicate voice rang on my back.

-Jill... I told you to stay put. Now go back to the interrogatory room. We'll head home soon, I instructed firmly once I turned around to face her angelical face, desperate to lay a hand.

-Steve I mean it. I know Brian better than anyone, and there might be a chance the man isn't even dead. He's goddamn crazy, but more than that he's a coward. We could save this guy, I know it. Please let me help, she begged me but I kept shooking my head.

-Like hell. Do you know how the judge is going to take this? More important, I'm not going to let him hurt you, I frowned at my insistent sister.

-There's a life at stake! Do you really care about the judge now? Plus he can't hurt me, not with you here. Please Steve, she made a last attempt for me to give up and I almost didn't.

But then I thought that if it was her who was missing, I'd like someone to help me out. We had to try, for the sake of that innocent man.

-Alright then, I gave up and caused Danny to let out a relief breath he was holding during the entire argument.

Jill's POV

-Steve... it might be better if I go there alone, I asked of my brother who first looked ready to say no, but after a short exchange of looks with Danny he nodded.

-Alright. I'll be right outside watching everything, ok?, he said and kissed my forehead before I opened the heavy door and shut it behind me.

Just me and him again, only that this time the table was turned. He was the one being helpless and I was free. Of course my intentions were different than his by far.

-Hey Brian, I greeted him softly from my spot right next to the door.

The man slowly lifted his look from the table he was chained to and posed his bloodshot orbs on me. He was definitely sober right now, but that didn't mean he was stable. On the contrary, he was more dangerous than ever.