Chapter 37: The settle

-Jill please. I gotta go, I said for what seemed the thousandth time that morning. She was getting to my very last nerve and it was already a difficult day for me.

-But why can't I go without you?, I was met with a deep frown when I looked down.

I took a deep long breath once again to calm my nerves. I knew just how hard it was for her to simply stay put (or really just do as she's told) but I couldn't bring her with me.

-Babe it's just an audience. Nothing interesting will happen. It'll just be me and mom talking with the judge. Ok? Hopefully we'll settle on something and we won't have to push this any further, I explained patiently while putting away a few strand of her perfectly blonde hair.

-Finee. I'll wait here but please call me when you're done to tell me what happened, she pouted at me in a way it was mostly certain you'd give into her tricks.

-Alright, alright. If you let go of me now I promise I'll call, I said and the fingers that were grasped around my wrist a second ago quickly released me.

I stared at her innocent smile promising to be good one last time before I shut the front door behind me. Trust my words, it was difficult for me to leave her alone as well but I much rather that than taking her to the courtroom with me. Even when the blood bath wouldn't be today, and I wouldn't be able to prevent Jill from witnessing it, I wanted her as far away as I could from this mess. She deserved better after all.

I nervously moved my leg upside down as we waited for the meeting to begin. My lawyer on the other hand seemed pretty much calmed, sitting right next to me, writing stuff down on her notebook and acting like there was nothing at risk here. Still I trusted her with my life. Cassandra James was an ex DA that had dedicated herself to family trials, and I knew from experience she could kick asses in court. We had the chance to work together a couple times, reason why she immediately accepted when I asked for her help.

-Ok, they should be here anytime. Remember what I told you?, she asked me and I huffed in annoyance once more. Even when she was helping me, there was something about lawyers I couldn't stand.

-Yes, for the fifth time. No matter what they say I need to stay put and let you handle it, I said looking at her with tired eyes and stopped the movement of my leg.

-I'm serious Steve. We need to give the judge a good impression and it won't help that you bring up your asshole Navi SEAL act. Alright?, she said giving me a pointed look before going back to her notes.

Told you she could be rough. And she doesn't even need those vulgar words to put somebody in their place. I've witnessed many times how she can make an entire room shut up and listen just using her calmed yet steeled voice and a very formal vocabulary vomit. I was in good hands for sure. Actually... we were in good hands.

Soon my mom showed up with her fancy lawyer as well, the guy I recognized being her company's legal representative. Cassandra didn't react much and I just imitated her in everything I could. Unfortunately this wasn't a CQC fight. This was my mom's battle field, and I'd need to adapt if I wanted to win in her territory.

-Ok... McGarrett versus Clelland for the custody of Jillian Malie Clelland, minor, 13 years old. Born in Boston, father unknown, the judge said and then posed her eyes directly on Cassandra. Seriously how with that look upon her she didn't get the chills? I know I did, and I'm a marine.

-We offer shared custody as a settle your honor, my lawyer said and almost immediately the answer came.

-Shared custody? Excuse me but we're not talking about two parents. We're talking of a mother and a son. Mrs. Clelland it's not forced by any law to give up not even half of her rights over Jill, the man in the room answered quickly to our demands and I grumbled against him under my breath.