Chapter 39: Breaking point

Steve's POV

-Do you swear to tell the truth, all the truth and nothing but the truth?, the deputy asked me looking at me deep into my eyes.

-Yes I do, I said raising my right hand.

I took back my seat and rearranged my tied a bit. Dammit, I can't believe Danny wears this everyday for work. How do chase criminals in the island when a damned piece of fabric is choking you to death? As I internally ranted about ties, Cassandra was the first to approach to the strand.

-Steve, how long have you been unofficially in charge of your little sister Jillian Malie?, she asked firmly, skilfully anticipating the objection of my mom's lawyer.

-During the entire summer break... and even more, I answered after clearing my throat. I didn't remember to be that nervous in ages.

-What do you mean?, my lawyer asked even when she knew fine well the answer.

-Well ever since Jillian was born I've helped out my mother the way I could. Babysitting, driving her around, disciplining her, I explained to the curious crowd in front of me. Me being a popular figure here in the island, I had quite a public that day in trial.

-Would you agree that there's a lack of a mother figure in the house of Jillian Malie?, Cassandra kept on attacking my mother so skillfully that it could be compared to my CQC skills.

-There's a lack of authority itself in that house indeed. My sister is an adorable girl but her lack of discipline has caused her to be exposed to multiple danger, I said looking at my mother sitting across me with a displeased expression.

-Such as...?, Cassandra asked before posing her eyes on my mother like a hunter on its prey.

-Such as the company of an older drug addict and currently wanted man, among others, I said as the memory of Brian invaded my mind. That's one of the things I blamed mom the most. If she'd have been less neglective then that lunatic wouldn't be after my sister right now.

After the infamous "no further questions" Cassandra abandoned me in the strand to be attacked by the fancy looking male lawyer. I wasn't scared anyways, since she had prepared me fine and well.

-Tell me Mr. McGarrett. Where is this criminal now?, he asked me while sticking his hands into the pockets of a five thousand dollars suite.

-Like I said, he's currently wanted. And trust me when I tell you I will get to him, I said and looked at him with an unspoken promise in my eyes. Even if it is the last thing I do.

-So he escaped?, he asked curiously and something told me he already knew what went down with that crazy ass.

-No, scumbags of lawyers like you set him free, I growled at him earning the disapproving gaze of my own lawyer.

-No need to get hostile with me Mr. McGarrett. So according to your own statement, he's not a danger to society or Jill, is he?, the clever lawyer asked and that's the exact point where I saw red.

-Are you shitting me? The lunatic kidnapped my sister!, I spat completely losing my temper before the shocked eyes of the room.

-Under your watch, wasn't it?, the hard eyes in front of me looked at me accusingly and the worst part was that he was right.

-Yes, I said feeling the bitter taste of defeat.

-You are a trained soldier with excellent recommendations. Four years in Annapolis, three years in Naval Intelligence, five years being the first of your class in the Navy... leader of a special task force squad... and the only person you're supposed to protect the most gets hurt on your watch? You consider yourself suitable to be Jill's guardian after that?, he asked me with a look that hurt my soul. That bastard had found my weak point.