Chapter 16: A short walk on the beach

I don't know why, but the scene played in front of me seemed slow motion. Him, in his black and blue swimwear, shaking his damp dark hair and smiling at me while walking on the warm sand. Please tell me I'm not dreaming, please tell me I'm not dreaming, and if I am, I'll kill the one who wakes me up (that means you Steven. You and your "wake up at sunset" policy).

-There you are, he said smiling to me. Oh my god, I almost pass out when I heard his voice. I needed to control myself a little bit. Pull yourself together Jillian.

-Yeah, I said smiling rubbing the back of my neck, Sorry about my brother. He's the overprotective kind unfortunately, I said rolling my eyes and he laughed.

-I understand him. I'm exactly like him after all, he admitted while sitting down on the sand with me.

-You have a little sister too?, I asked kind of curious, sitting next to him as well.

-Yep, he said staring at the waves, Two of them actually. 10 and 8 years old.

-Steve is my only brother. I'm just visiting him for the rest of the summer, I said resuming the whole explanation. No need of letting him know all my family issues on the first date. That'd be so weird and uncomfortable.

-I see, he said nodding his head, I'm actually not native from here, but I've been living in Hawaii since I was like 10. My parents got a job here, so we all moved out.

-Where are you from then?, I asked looking at him pretty curious. I'd never have guessed the answer. What are the odds.

-Boston, Massachusetts. And you?, he said and I was like shocked. No way...

-I'm from Boston too, I said smiling to him, My mom lives there with her boyfriend.

-Really?, he said surprised as well, Finally someone that gets me. You know, sometimes I miss the city and all my friends there.

-I don't honestly. I guess I've never had pretty close friends, and this place is a paradise compared with Boston, I said admiring the blue sky and the white sand.

-You should move in here too then, he said looking away with a smile.

Yeah right, like if that would be even possible. Steve looking after me full time? Oh no, I'd drive him crazy. And besides I didn't wanna live here with him, and his rules, and the chores... did I?

-I like living with my brother but, I said drawing on the wet sand with a stick I found, You know he's kind of young to take care of me. He has the right of having his own life.

-You don't look like someone hard to take with, he said smiling and looking at me with his gorgeous eyes. Don't panic Jillian, do not panic.

-Yeah well, I said moving a piece of my hair from my face, It depends. I have a strong personality.

We stayed in silent for a while. I was rewinding my words in my head, trying to check if I said anything stupid. Honestly, I did, but I couldn't help it. I felt like thousands of butterflies in my stomach, and I seriously mean it. I never felt so nervous before.

-I like that you know, he said breaking the silence, It's kind of boring to hang out with someone who's' telling you "whatever you want, your choice, I'm fine with it if you are" all the time, he added with a laugh.

-Yeah I think the same, I said with a giggle, You know I never asked you, I said regretting my words barely I said them, I was wondering how old you are...

-I'm 14, he said giggling, And you Jill?

-I'm 13, I said and he looked at me like wow. What? What did I say?