Chapter 23: Facing fears and a first wave

Steve's POV

We finally found something to link the Yakuza suspects to our dead body in the trunk of that car. We sent several SWAT squads to search for these rats in a few abandoned houses we knew the Yakuza use as hidding spots. Me and Danny went with a group and Chin and Kono with another. Since these guys were dangerous people, we were all wearing vests and had our eyes wide open. Of course they were waiting for us.

Some of them tried to flee, but it was useless. We had the place surrounded and they were going nowhere. One of them, the boss I assume tried to confront me. Bad idea dude. It took me seconds to tear him down and cuff him. Just when I was on my knees cuffing that guy and reading him his Miranda rights I heard a gunshot right behind my head. My heart stopped beating for a second that seemed like an hour to me until I turned around and saw Danny. I turned my head to the other side and saw a Yakuza falling with a bullet in his chest.

-Damn. Thanks Danno. You saved my life, I said getting up, still staring at that dead guy.

-Yeah well. I'm getting used to watch over you all the time, he smirked at me and I rolled my eyes in response.

-Hmp yeah, because I've never saved your life before, I said while grabbing my cuffed suspect to take him to the police truck. I was having a conversation with this one later. For now I just wanted to go home and see my sister.

Between the interrogation and all the paperwork I was forced to do before I leave the central, I came back home really late. I wasn't expecting to find Jill up at this time, since Cath left hours ago. Yet that's exactly how I found her when I crossed the hall. Laying on the couch, watching tv with her eyes wide open. She greeted me and I sat down next to her.

-Jill, don't you think it's a bit late for you?, I asked her half scolding, half worried for her.

-I know, but I wasn't sleepy you know, she said turning the tv off and stretching her arms.

-Well you're clearly sleepy now. Come on, go to sleep, I said kissing her forehead.

She got up walking to her room while I entered into the kitchen and found it... absolutely clean. Spotless. I had two theories to explain that phenomenon: one, in the middle of her sleeplessness attack, she cleaned up every inch of this kitchen. Or two, most likely she didn't have dinner at all, so if the kitchen looks exactly as I left it this morning is because nobody actually used it. Yep, that sounds like the most certain theory to me.

I knocked her door and waited for an answer when she opened it herself. Her whole face was already telling me what I wanted to know.

-Tell me, did you eat anything Jill?, I asked her raising an eyebrow.

-It depends. I ate lots of stuff, she said shrugging her shoulders, trying to change the subject. Smartass.

-I mean if you had something for dinner. Did you?, I asked again when I noticed she started to get nervous.

-Well... not exactly to tell you the truth, she admitted looking down.

-You said you'd had dinner with Cath, I said staring at her with my arms folded.

-Yeah well she did came, but I told her I wasn't in the mood for company. She made me promise her that I'd have something to eat. It's not her fault.

-Oh, I know that. So that means you didn't have anything to eat in the whole day?

-Well, not the whole day. I mean I ate... some stuff, she tried to lie to me.

-Yeah sure you did. Come on, you gotta eat something, I said not believing a word she just said.