Chapter 1: How it all began

I remember the afternoon when my life changed. I was watching the sunset from my backyard in Hawaii, drinking a cold beer. This must be the best sight in the whole world, I thought breathing the fresh air of the island, feeling every scent of it. It’s been around a year since I got back to my homeland Honolulu and settled here with the 5-0 task force squad. When my parents got divorced back in year 2000, my mom moved away to Boston to start her own business. Barely I turned 18 the year after that, I moved away from the island to the state of Maryland to attend to the United States Naval Academy, better known as Annapolis. After my graduation, I was three years with Naval Intelligence and another five years with the navy SEALs before I came back to Hawaii to lead the governor’s task force known as 5-0. My dad had left me the house where I grew up in, so I already had a place to stay. It does bring tons of undesired memories but I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. It’s a beautiful house, very homey and rustic, and you can even go down to the sea from the backyard. Waikiki beach is only a few blocks away, so I spend much time surfing like when I was growing up.

I closed my eyes and took deep long breaths. I was really enjoying the moment with the soft wind on my face, but as everytime I try to relax something interrupted that gorgeous moment. I heard my phone buzzing in my pocket so I picked it up. I took a look of the screen and sighed.

-Mom, I answered a little bit coldly. I don’t really get along with my mom. You’ll get the hang of why. Just wait.

-Hey sweetheart. How’s everything going over there?, she answered as sweet as if she could spit candy out of her mouth.

Wow, wait a second. It was already weird that she calls me instead of texting, but she was calling me sweetheart. She never calls me like that way unless...

-Everything is cool, thank you. How can I help you this time?, I went straight to the point.

Every single time she calls me is because she needs something.Not in like money kind of something. She built her own successful makeup business when she moved to Boston, but she always seems to need something of me, specially when she either meets or dumps a new guy. She hasn't had a stable relationship since my dad. God, I wonder why.

-Oh please, can’t a mother call her own son without a reason?, she said trying to sound hurt, but I knew there were just a few number of things I could say to actually hurt her.

Maybe a mother, but not you. I just limited myself to sigh and answer something to get away of this uncomfortable situation as soon as possible to get back to my own life.

-Mom please. I’m busy, I lied to get the truth out of her faster. I was a little bit tired of her games.

-Well I was wondering if you’re gonna be available tomorrow morning. You know, I have a meeting in Honolulu, and I’d like to stop by your place and maybe talk about some stuff.

Some stuff? Where was she going with all this speech? Nowhere good, that’s for sure.

-Mom, cut it out. Just be straight with me. Why are you coming to see me?, I said hardening my tone of voice.

-Ok, here is the deal, she said finally cracking her good mom’s facade, I’m taking a flight to Hawaii and I’ll be there tomorrow morning. I need to talk to you in person about something honey.

-Is Jillian ok?, I asked fearing my mother had bad news about her.

-Yes of course your sister is ok. She umm... she’ll stay at home with Noah until I get back.

-She’s gonna stay with your boyfriend? Since when they get along?, I asked her not buying a word. Probably she was going to leave her home alone, but she didn’t want to tell me. Oh well, not that my scoldings towards her have any effect.