Chapter 4: Not my daughter but my sister

-What happened bro? A little girl kicked your butt?, Danny said laughing and patting my back. I glared at him as hard as I could. Told you this two were gonna be a nightmare for me. Jill got up as well and glared back at me.

-See? You shouldn’t be mad. You should be laughing like everyone else, she said folding her arms on her chest as my friend kept on laughing.

God, why did you put me in charge of two children? WHY?

-It’s not funny Daniel. I thought she was hurt, I told him trying to put him on my side, but I knew it’d take more than that to do so.

-Awww I see. You’re a gentleman after all, you don’t hurt women, he said trying to make me laugh, but I just stayed there looking at him. He coughed in discomfort and mumbled a sorry while looking away.

-Why you have to be such an a...?, Jill had started to say when I cut her off.

-A what Jillian, huh? C’mon tell me, I said getting really pissed off.

Not only she scared the hell out of me to take advantage in a stupid water fight, she was about to curse at me. Unbelievable.

-Nothing. Whatever, she mumbled under her breath.

The environment turned uncomfortable once it was invaded by a deep silence. All I could hear my fast breathing, the air coming in and out through my nose in an attempt to remain calmed. I’ve learned to deal with my own temper in the forces, where I’ve learned basically everything. I wished they’d have taught me how to handle a 13 years old sister in the middle of a tantrum.

Quickly that same silence was filled by Danny’s words.

-Ok. I see things are a little tense around here. Why don’t we all calm down a little bit and go to have an ice cream, huh?, he said wrapping Gracie in his arms.

Right: the good girl gets an ice cream for calling me an ass... almost. Better I cool off and let it slide. I can talk to her later about it.

-Sounds like a plan Danny, Jill said with a big smile on her face and then looked around to see my friend’s daughter practically hidden behind him, Come on out you there. Let’s be friends, yeah?

-Sure. You’d love to make a new friend, right monkey?, he said gently caressing her hair before prompting her to go with Jill.

They started to walk a few steps ahead us. I watched the lovely scene a little bit surprised, since my sister had never been the one for kids, but she seemed to like Gracie. I noticed Danny was staring at me for while, but I ignored him. Hopefully he wouldn’t open his mouth to piss me off again.

-Cool off dude, he said patting my back, She’s just a teenager you know, and if you ask me it was just an innocent joke. I actually find it very funny, he said with a smirk. I knew he was just trying to calm me down, but it truly wasn’t working.

-Oh really? You find it amusing right? What if it had been you instead of me, huh? If Gracie pretended to get hurt, would you find it funny?, I said stopping our walking to frown at my friend.

-But Gracie’s my daughter man, it’s different. I mean this is just... typical brother-sister kind of stuff, he said stopping his tracks as well and I sighed in realization.

Sometimes it’s hard for me to just act like a normal older brother around Jill, because I’ve never been just that. Not only because our important age difference, but because of our family situation. This situation we’re in right now.

-I didn’t mean to say it that way man, he said while sliding his hands into his blue jeans pockets. Only Danny wears jeans on the beach of Hawaii.