Chapter 11: Life adjustments

-Come on Steven. When are you gonna let me go to the water? I've practiced this thousands of times..., she started to complain but I cut her off. I think I'm making a routine of this, and she doesn't seem to like it.

-Hey, hey. Didn't we have an agreement?, I said to my sister and she nodded, Don't be so anxious sis. You'll be able to catch a wave soon, I promise. You just have to keep practicing, ok?

-Fine, she said snorting and coming up my board again.

I tried to help her to get on top of it, but she didn't let me. Hmp, stubborn. I have to say that she was doing an amazing job though. If she kept on doing it that good she was going to be into the sea catching a wave sooner than expected. She actually seemed to have a natural ability for the cause. When she decides to listen and learn from someone, she's able to catch as much information as she needs and process it very fast. She had corrected her arms position by herself, based on my last corrections a few days ago. She has so much potential, and I have to help her to use it.

-Am I doing it right Stevie?, she said glancing at me.

Actually it wasn't bad, but her balance was awful. I looked down and then noticed her mistake. Her right foot was wrong, and that was costing her entire balance on the board.

-It's great Jill, but you have to move your right foot a little bit backwards, ok?, I said trying to help her but she denied my help again. I sighed. This way she was never gonna make it.

-I can't understand what I'm doing wrong, she said coming down from my board and sitting on the sand in frustration.

-Ok. I'll show you something that might help, but it'll cost you a smile. Deal?, I said tickling her side until she finally laughed.

-Ok, deal, she said giving me a sweet smile.I smiled back to my sister. Then, with a little stick, I drew a line on the wet sand and told her to lie on it, her head and spine in the middle of it, following the line. After that I told her to put the palm of her hands right where her ribs are, and drew a perpendicular line once she got up.

-Alright, see this?, I said drawing a circle on the lines interception, This is where your right foot is supposed to be when you do the pop up. Otherwise you lose your balance like you just did. Just remember this line represents the middle of your board, and the ends of this line where your hands go. Got it?

-Yeah, I got it, she said with a smile, staring at my drawing.I think she needed that to understand the move. I know it's a very easy one, but it's not so much when you're first learning it. And it's something you'll use every single time you get on a board.She got up on the board again and tried a few more times. Much better my dear sister. I was just helping her with some moves when I heard someone right behind my back.

-Isn't he a great teacher?, Cath said smiling to me. She was wearing a gorgeous orange dress, with hawaiian white flowers on it. Wow, she's just amazing.

-Hey love. What are you doing here?, I said smiling back to her. She was supposed to be at work for the rest of the day after all, at least that was what she told me.

-I decided to take a break and come down to the beach, just to relax a little bit. What are you two doing?, she said coming closer to us and looking at my sister standing on my board.

I don't know how, but I felt a huge glare coming from Jill. I guess it was so intense that it was burning my back.

-I think Stevie here is giving me surf lessons, she said so not politely. Actually, not polite at ALL, thing that really made me upset, so I threw a glare to my sister over my shoulder.

Great, war just started. And I initiated by telling my girlfriend she could call me Stevie. Actually I didn't. Talking about Jill, I mentioned to Cath that my sister had came out with this nickname for me. My girlfriend thought it was cute that she started to call me the same. An awful idea definitely.