Annabeth's Quest and Percy's Funeral

Start from the beginning

I grabbed Annabeth and helped her up. She was covered in dirt, grime, and blood. Dried tears were on her face. I helped her limp to the Big House where Chiron and Quintus were. Juniper followed us.

When we got there, Annabeth collapsed in the chair next to the fire. "I-I failed. Grover and Tyson a-are still st-stuck down there and P-percy, oh, Percy!" Annabeth broke down and Quintus went to get her a hot chocolate. "I'm s-sorry, N-nina. I-I think P-percy d-died in M-mount St. H-helens. Th-there were s-so m-many monsters a-and he-he m-made m-me leave and then it, oh, the m-mountain b-blew up!" Annabeth broke down completely and buried her face in her hands.

Tears started pooling in my eyes. My twin was most likely dead and my baby brother was still stuck in the most dangerous maze in the world! I wrapped an arm around Annabeth's shoulders and she leaned into my side. The tears had started to fall. The only one who had been there my entire life was gone forever. I let go of Annabeth and curled up. I placed my chin on my knees and stared at the fire. I heard someone coming towards us. Someone must have heard the noise.

A man picked me up and placed me in his lap. He started to rub my back. I didn't know who it was, but I enjoyed the comfort. I buried my face in the man's orange camp T-shirt and started to sob. Mia gemello è morto. I kept repeating this mantra in my head. My twin is dead. Mia gemello è morto. When my tears dried up, I looked up to see who the man was. It was Sirius. "Hello, little one," he whispered into my hair.

"Hi," I whispered back into his shirt. He smiled softly at me.

"I heard. I'm sorry about your brother."

I shrugged. "We're demigods. It was bound to happen eventually."

"That doesn't make the pain any worse, though," he said. I hiccuped and rested my head against his chest. He held me as I grieved for my brothers.

Two weeks later, we held a funeral for my brother. Chiron asked me to sing, speak, and burn his shroud. I stood up in front of everyone. My guitar was in my hands and I had found the perfect song. It was A Year Without Rain by some mortal named Selena Gomez.

Ooh ooh ooh

Ooh ooh ooh

Can you feel me

When I think about you?

With every breath I take

Every minute

No matter what I do

My world is an empty place

Like I've been wandering the desert

For a thousand days (oh)

Don't know if it's a mirage

But I always see your face, baby

I'm missing you so much

Can't help it, I'm in love

A day without you is like a year without rain

I need you by my side

Don't know how I'll survive

A day without you is like a year without rain (oh, whoa)

Whoa, oh, whoa

The stars are burning

I hear your voice in my mind (voice in my mind)

Can't you hear me calling?

My heart is yearning

Like the ocean that's running dry

Catch me, I'm falling

It's like the ground is crumbling underneath my feet

Won't you save me?

There's gonna be a monsoon when you get back to me, oh, baby

I'm missing you so much

Can't help it, I'm in love

A day without you is like a year without rain

I need you by my side

Don't know how I'll survive

A day without you is like a year without rain (oh, whoa)

Whoa, oh, whoa

So let this drought come to an end

And make this desert flower again

I'm so glad you found me

Stick around me,

Baby baby baby oooh

It's a world of wonder with you in my life

So hurry, baby, don't waste no more time

I need you here, I can't explain

But a day without you is like a year without rain (oh, whoa)

I'm missing you so much

Can't help it, I'm in love

A day without you is like a year without rain

I need you by my side

Don't know how I'll survive

A day without you is like a year without rain (oh, whoa)

Whoa, oh, whoa

Ooh ooh ooh

Ooh ooh ooh

After I finished singing, Chiron stood up next to me. "I have asked Percy's twin to do the honors." Tears were rolling down my cheeks as I took the torch from Chiron. Percy's shroud looked amazing. Annabeth, Lav, Vati, and Juniper had all helped me make the shroud. It was seagreen and had a blue trident over the symbol of the gemini stitched into the middle. As a border, we had stitched all the foes he had fought and any of his other accomplishments. I lit the shroud and a fresh batch of tears hit me. It was official, my brother was dead.

I turned back to the crowd. "Percy was the best brother I could ask for. He was as kind as he was brave. He was also as caring as he was a skilled fighter. He..." I broke off. I had seen a black haired boy standing just outside the arena. "He's right over there!" Everyone looked where I was staring and saw him too. Percy was alive! Oh, he better have a good excuse for this one.

Everyone stormed Percy. When they moved away, Annabeth stormed over, punched him, and walked off. I walked up behind him as he stared at her retreating figure. I tapped his shoulder and he turned around. I slapped him then pulled him into a tight hug. "You better have a really good scusare, fratello."

Percy pulled back and smiled sheepishly at me. "I got lost," he said. I was ready to slap him all over again. What did he mean he got lost! Chiron came up to us and pulled us both onto his back. He cantered off to find Annabeth. When he found her, he took us all back to the Big House. Percy told us how Hephaestus told him how to navigate the Labyrinth. They needed a clear sighted mortal.

"Rachel!" Percy and I said at the same time. We talked a little more with Chiron before he sent Percy to go get cleaned up. The next day, he and Annabeth were to depart to continue the quest and hopefully find Tyson and Grover. I warned Percy that he better not almost die again, or actually die for that matter. I hope it goes better this time.