Basilisk and Petrification

The next day, Harry ran up to me outside DADA. "We know who it is," the Boy-Who-Lived panted.

"You know who what is?" I questioned.

"The Heir of Slytherin, who let the monster out 50 years ago. It was Hagrid. We don't think he meant for it to kill anyone, but it did. Hagrid is the Heir of Slytherin."

"Alright, now that I don't believe. Hagrid may have another view about dangerous creatures, but he would never let something into the castle that would petrify someone."

"He was 13 when it happened, Nina. You didn't know him then."

"No, I didn't. WHat about the attacks now, though. He may have accidently set something on students 50 years ago, but he's smart enough not to do it again. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to attempt to learn something from the dimwit we're all forced to call a professor." I marched forward into the DADA classroom. How dare Harry claim that Hagrid was the Heir. Completely impossible. He is smart enough not to make the same mistake twice.

NANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANA NANANANANAN

I sighed, why did Lav and Vati have to get Saturday detention today. I waved to them as they ran up to the Charms classroom to start their detention with Flitwick. They just had to be late to class all week. They were in the library, and kept getting sidetracked by their studying. I wonder what they were studying? Doubt it was Potions like they told Professor Flitwick.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione forced me to walk down to the quidditch pitch with them. They were talking about what the monster could be. Why couldn't they just give it a rest for one day? If you don't take a break, the stress levels build up which leads to a harder time concentrating which leads to taking a longer time in your task than you would have if you took a day off. I had learned that on my quest. Everyone needs a break. Unfortunately, we didn't get a real break. During our break, we were ambushed by monsters. It was just wonderful.

The Annoying trio had switched to talking about how Hagrid could sneak the monster into the castle. Would they stop blaming poor Hagrid. He is way too much like a cuddly bunny, albeit a giant cuddly bunny. He would never cause any real damage on purpose. Luckily for the trio, they didn't seem completely convinced Hagrid was the culprit. It was like there was just too much proof leading to him. If they had completely been convinced it was Hagrid, well let's just say I wasn't kidding when I said I could handle a knife. It's bad enough they suspect my friend, but Hagrid is supposed to be their friend too.

We were just about to leave the castle when Harry stopped. I didn't see him stop and rammed right into him. He fell face forwards. Oops. He quickly got up. He didn't seem phased that he was knocked to the ground. It must happen often. I wonder if it's only when people walk into him? Focus, Jackson. Harry said he was hearing the voice again. I had no idea what he was talking about. First, what does he mean again? Second, why can't the rest of us hear it? Wait, I remember Luna telling me Harry was a parselmouth. Maybe we couldn't hear it because it was a snake.

"Harry, what is it saying?" I asked.

"Rip, tear, kill."

It must be the monster. What snake can petrify people? I gasped and looked at Hermione. She had come to the same conclusion as I.

'We're going to the library!" I called over my shoulder as Hermione and I dashed to the library. When we got there, it was empty except for a Ravenclaw prefect. She waved kindly at us. I waved back, but Hermione dashed straight to the magical creatures section. She began looking through Magical Creatures and Where to Find Them. I began searching my memory for everything I could think of. I remembered as soon as Hermione found the passage.