Forgiveness

During the next Quidditch game, dementors swarmed the field. Harry passed out. Dumbledore did this spell that made Harry float more slowly so he didn't get hurt. Unfortunately, his Nimbus 2000 flew into the Whomping Willow. There was no saving it.

The day after McGonagall came around asking everyone who wanted to come home for Christmas, I got a letter from my brother.

Dear Nina,

There's an emergency. Grover found two really powerful demigods. He needs our help to go get them. Please come home. Thalia and Annabeth are coming too. They're up in Maine. If you don't come home, I will fly up with Blackjack and drag you home.

Love,

Percy

I already told McGonagall I was going to stay. I ran out of the Great Hall and up to her office. I started pounding on the door.

"What is it, Miss Jackson? You should be down having lunch with everyone else."

"I need to go home for Christmas Break," I panted. "Family emergency."

She seemed shocked by my answer. "O-of course. If that is all, you may go." I turned around and left. I ran up to my dorm to start packing. Why couldn't you send that letter yesterday, Perce?

A few days later, I was sitting in a car with Percy, Thalia, Annabeth, and Sally on our way to Maine. Annabeth sat up front with Sally and I sat between Percy and Thalia. I hadn't seen my brother or cousin since late August, yet none of us were talking. We were all too nervous. Sally was talking. She always talks when she's nervous. By the time we got to Westover, the military school that the demigods were at, she had told Annabeth and Thalia every embarrassing baby story about me and my brother.

Westover Hall looked like Hogwarts. It was nowhere near as impressive, though. It wasn't as big either. "Oh yeah, this'll be fun," snorted Thalia.

"Are you sure you don't want me to wait?" asked Sally as we all clambered out of the car. I walked around back with Thalia to grab the bags.

"No thanks, Mom," Percy said. "I don't know how long it will take. We'll be okay, Nina and I can just call Blackjack and Silvermist."

"I know," she sighed. "I'm just worried about you, Percy." Percy and I were the only ones who noticed she hadn't said she was worried about me. I looked up in time to see Percy glare at my mother. I gave him a soft smile.

"It's okay, Ms. Jackson. We'll keep them out of trouble." Annabeth smiled reassuringly at Sally. I rolled my eyes.

"Alright dears. Do you have everything you need?"

"Yes, Ms. Jackson. Thanks for the ride," said Thalia. Sally waved and pulled out of the parking lot. We were officially stranded in Maine. How lovely. "Your mom is so cool, guys," laughed Thalia once my mom was out of sight.

"She's pretty okay," Percy answered. "What about you? You ever get in touch with your mom?" I looked back at Thalia. She was looking at the ground. She didn't answer the question. I wonder what happened to her mom. Annabeth said she had met Thalia while she was on the run. Maybe Thalia was on the run too.

When we walked inside, all I could see were weapons. There were tons of guns and swords all over the walls. It seemed to be a little overkill. There was definitely a fight coming. I jumped when the doors slammed shut behind us. This place was creepy. We hid our duffel bags behind a column. There was music coming from the other end of the hall. That must be where the dance was. We started walking to the doors at the end of the hall when two teachers walked in front of us. One was a man who had two different colored eyes and was clean shaven. The other was a woman with a wispy moustache. Yup, very backwards in my opinion. Both had short, grey hair. "Well?" the woman demanded. "What are you doing here?"