Chapter 155

Ashton's PoV:

'Meet us by the bathrooms. 5 minutes.'

I read the text from Ari and then slipped my phone in my pocket before adjusting Gracie who was on my hip.

"Daddy, drink." She hit my chest with her little hands.

"Hey, be sweet." I gave her a look before picking up my water from the table and letting her have a drink. "Little sips, you're not a fish." I chuckled and she giggled at this.

I walked around with her for a few more minutes, talking with Luke, Michael, and Calum who had arrived with my mom, and then took Gracie over to Carter who was talking with my mom and Ari's mom.

"Hey, would you mind holding her for a minute? I'm going to head to the bathroom really quick." I asked Carter.

"Of course." She smiled as she took Gracie from me.

I kissed her cheek and then headed to the direction of the bathrooms which were down a hall and to the left down another hall.

When I turned the corner I saw Ari and Jason waiting for me, the letter in Ari's hand.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Ari asked me and I suddenly felt overwhelmed with guilt.

"After the fight we had last week I don't think it's a good idea if I do this. She gave me one last chance, and if whatever is in there upsets her that much and I read it, then she'll surely leave me. You guys can read it if you want, but I'm not going to do this." I shook my head.

"Ashton, are you sure?" Jason asked. "I mean we went through so much just to piece it together."

"I know, but i've screwed up too many times with Carter and I won't do it again. I love her too much. I just can't betray her trust."

Ari faltered.

"You're right... you shouldn't read it. Jason and I will read it, and if it's something you need to know then we'll tell you."

"Sounds good. Now i'm gonna go back to her."

I left the two of them and went back to the party where Carter was talking with Luke, Gracie on her waist.

"Hey." I walked up and put my lips to her temple.

"Hey. So Luke was just telling me about life on a tour bus." She said.

"Yeah. Well this time we have an updated bus, and we have a kitchenette and a back room and a bigger bathroom." I said.

"You should've got engaged sooner." Luke said and we laughed.

After a few minutes I noticed Ari and Jason walk back from the hall, both of them with wide eyes.

They looked at me but Ari shook her head.

I felt my phone go off in my pocket and then stepped away so I could look at it to read the text from Jason.

'Letter is from the man who is in charge of the life insurance policy. Carter lied. It is in her name.'

I sighed and then angrily shoved my phone back in my pocket.

Why would she lie about this? Why would she let herself and Ender suffer instead of taking out the policy to help them?

Her logic confused and frustrated me.

"What's wrong?"