Chapter 110

After Ender's melt down the boys left so I could calm him down and then tend to a confused and curious Gracie who wanted to know where her Mommy was.

I decided to help take their minds off of it and got them in their swim suits and myself in mine before going downstairs to the hotels inside pool.

I helped Gracie swim around, not being able to help but smile as she played, but of course I couldn't stop thinking about Carter.

Fighting with her was the worst, but that was because we loved each other so much.

After I had found out she was at the beach I saw a photo Becca had posted of her and Carter  baking in a kitchen.

Carter looked happy.

After dinner had ended and she still wasnt back I was getting ready to call when Becca texted me that Carter had just left her apartment and was on her way.

After responding with a thank you she sent back another message.

'Remember how fragile Carter is. Don't push it. She'll tell you when she wants to.'

Although I knew she was right it still made me upset that Carter didn't trust me enough to tell me something about her that seemed to particularly upset her.

I had already put both kids to bed and sat in the chair in the main room, waiting for Carter to come back.

At around 10:45 the door opened to reveal a already shut down Carter.

"We need to talk." I said as the door closed behind her and she silently took a step forward.

"Then talk." She replied in monotone, her attitude displeasing.

"Sit." I said, my patience was wearing thin and she could tell. Carter moved to sit on the sofa opposite of me.

Her eyes met mine before quickly looking away and I sighed.

"Why won't you confide in me?" I asked her and saw her shoulders drop.

"Ashton." She shook her head.

"I'm supposed to be your husband. I'm supposed to be the one you go to for everything, the one you don't keep secrets from, the one who knows everything about you.  But you don't trust me Carter."

"That's not true." She rolled her eyes.

"Really? Because I think the difference between the way I trust you and the way you trust me is quite clear."

"How so?"

"The only secret I ever kept from you was about the band, but now you know, and there's not a thing about me that I'm not willing to tell you. You, Carter, are the person I trust most in the world. I've told you everything about me, told you my secrets, my flaws, not held anything back because you're going to be my wife, and I don't want us to keep things from each other. But you...you haven't given me anything."

"I haven't given you anything? I haven't confided in you?" She asked the rhetorical questions, the anger obvious in her voice. "I gave you everything. I gave you my entire life, what more do you want from me Ashton? Huh? What more do you want?"

"I want you to start trusting me. You say you do but you don't, and I'm so sick of giving and giving and giving and getting nothing in return."

"Nothing in return? So you being my first kiss, my first boyfriend, the first man I ever had sex with, my fiancé, my brothers legal guardian, or our daughters father is nothing in return? Telling you things about me that I've never told anyone before, letting you into my life and my brothers life doesn't prove that I trust you?"