Chapter 123

Unfortunately, the doctors visit hadn't gone how we expected it to.

The doctor recommended not breastfeeding Gracie, but to take her to a child psychologist instead. This shot down our idea of me nursing Gracie helping us keep her, and now we were running out of time and ideas on how to save our family.

When we got back to the hotel after the visit I was an emotional mess and I laid in the bed and cried for an hour.

Ashton was upset too but handled it better than me (at least on the outside) and just held me while I cried.

The next day he had to get up early to go to work and let me sleep in and I woke up to an empty bed.

I turned over in the sheets onto his side but felt paper crinkle under my cheek.

"Hmm." I pushed myself up and reached for my glasses to put them on before picking up the sheet of paper.

Car,

I had to leave early for work today and I'm so sorry, I wish I could be with you today. I know yesterday didn't go how we wanted it to, but I still have faith that everything will work out for us, and I need you to have faith too. I understand how difficult today will be for you and Ender, and I want you to call me when you wake up so we can talk. I made us reservations for dinner and I want you to meet me at the restaurant, I gave the driver the directions. Bring the kids too. I also called Becca, Harry, and Ari to come hang out with you today. Again, call me when you wake up. I love you and the kids with all of my heart.

Forever yours,

Ash

I smiled at the sweetness I just read and then furrowed my eyebrows when I remembered what today was.

Ashton had remembered before I did and he knew it was going to be a tough day for me, and now I knew why.

Today was my mother's birthday.

I set down the note and then reached for my phone, calling Ashton.

It rang a few times before he answered.

"Hey." He said in a hushed voice and then I heard a door close. "Sorry I had to step out of a meeting."

"I can call back later." I offered.

"No you're fine." He said in a normal voice now. "How are you?"

"I'm good. I forgot it was my moms birthday until I read the note."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"No it's okay. I'm fine."

"She would've been 51 right?"

"Yeah." I smiled. "You remember."

"Of course I remember." I heard him smile as well.

"That means a lot to me, thank you."

"Baby you know I love your parents, even though I never got to meet them."

"I do. Thanks."

"Are the kids awake?"

"No not yet." I looked over at the two cuddled up kids.

"Okay, well have End call me once he's awake as well and I hope you have a good day."

"Thanks. Be productive today."

"I'll try." He chuckled. "I love you, Car."

"I love you too."

We disconnected and I set my phone down and was about to lay down again when there was a knock at the door.

I sighed as I got out of the bed and walked over to it, standing on my tip toes to look through the peep hole when I saw Harry standing outside.