Chapter 104

"Mommy."

I opened my tired eyes to see Gracie standing next to the bed.

I had turned around in Ashton's arms sometime during the night so that my back was to to the front of his body, his arms tight around me.

Gracie looked upset and at first I thought she'd had a bad dream, but I noticed the paleness of her skin.

"What is it baby?" I asked her.

"My tummy hurts." She whined and I could see the tears in her eyes.

"Okay." I moved out of Ashton's grip and sat up. "Does just your tummy hurt?" I asked her.

She nodded and I frowned.

I noticed her skin go from white to green and I knew she was about to be sick.

Gasping, I picked her up and ran her to the bathroom where she proceeded to empty her stomach in the toilet.

She cried as this happened and my heart broke for her.

"Ashton!" I called out. "Ashton!"

He came strolling into the bathroom half asleep until he saw me sitting on the floor with Gracie.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He rushed forward, crouching down next to us.

"She woke me up saying her stomach hurt." I frowned and Ashton ran his fingers through Gracie's hair as she threw up again, sobbing.

I moved my hand to her forehead to feel her skin.

"She's burning up." I looked up at Ashton.

"Baby girl." Ashton began to run his hand up and down Gracie's back.

When she stopped heaving I grabbed a towel and began to dab her clammy skin.

"Shh...baby it's okay, I know you don't feel good." Ashton tried to soothe the hysterical child.

"I'm going to call the front desk and see if they have a thermometer." I said and Ashton nodded. I scrambled up and hurried to the phone that was on the nightstand between the two beds.

I dialled the number for the front desk and noticed the time on the clock said 3:48.

"Front desk." Someone answered.

"Hi, I'm in room 1203 and I was wondering if you guys had a thermometer?"

"Yes. I will have it up there right away."

"Thank you."

I hung up the phone and jogged back into the bathroom where Ashton was sitting on the floor with Gracie in his lap, smoothing his hand over her head as tears streamed down her cheeks.

I grabbed a wash cloth and wet it under cold water then rung the water out.

"Here, baby." I began to dab the cloth over her skin on her face, hoping to cool her down.

I continued to dab her face until there was a knock at the door and and I gave Ashton the cloth so he could do it while I went to get the thermometer.

A man handed me the thermometer when I answered the door and I thanked him before hurrying back to Gracie.

I placed it under her tongue and counted to thirty and then took it out.

103.1

"Oh my god. Baby." I frowned even more.

"She needs to see a doctor." Ashton said.

"No doctors office is open at three in the morning except for a hospital."

"I'll make some calls and see if we can get someone to come here and if not then we'll take her to the hospital." He said.