Part One Hundred and Three: Bonds and Tribulations

"Where's the Alpha?" Owen asks, as he comes into the kitchen.

"He's out." I reply, and Dylan looks up from his breakfast, and so does Lavender.

"Where?" Rosie asks, as she munches her cereal, but she's just asking out of childhood curiosity.

"The forest." I say, as I clear my throat and turn away, and bring Vi and Winny's plates to the sink.

"I need to talk to him," Owen says, "did he bring his phone? Will he be back soon?"

"No, and I don't know," I reply, as I turn back to him and press my hand to my stomach. Owen looks at me suspiciously. "You want something to eat?" I ask.

"No, Frea made me breakfast, we're gonna do some extra running before training, she wants to get faster on two legs. I just needed to ask him some things. I'll find him when he gets back." He says. I nod.

"Alright." I say, but he's looking at me the same, and he stares for a long moment, hesitating.

"Where's Danny?" He asks me again.

"I told you-"

"He turned- didn't he?" He asks, and I feel everyone react, and I want to punch him for worrying them all. They really didn't need to.

"He went back out an hour ago, he'll be back soon, and I don't want any of you worrying about it." I say, as I look at them all.

"Can I talk to you in private Luna?" My brother asks, as his hair stands on end, and he looks at me in a way that I hate- he's serious. I sigh, and nod.

"I want to come, too." Dylan says as he stands up. Winny looks over at him with worry, and at the same time Lavender looks up as well- but she looks angry.

"Fine- but that's it. The rest of you go back to what you were doing, and help feed anyone who comes in- and get ready for the day as normal; we have things to do today."

I look particularly at Lavender, and I know she's furious- but she's still walking on eggshells; and she's still a child. I nod at her, but she just stands up, and leaves the room.

"Come on, we'll talk out front," I say, as I leave the room, and Owen and Dylan follow with a nod, but no words. They're tense and silent, until we get in the front room, and Dylan speaks up.

"Is there something wrong?"

"Wait, till we get outside... You can't underestimate Lavender's hearing, I think she's going to hear further than Durst." I say, as I open the front door.

"Why is Danny out there, Cora?" Owen says, as he points to the forest, as soon as I close the front door.

"You know he's been different- he thought he heard something-"

"So he's running around during the day time? You both know what that can do to a wolf- and he's far enough down that path as it is. I have to think of my family- including you and those pups- and my own- I told you to get him under control, Cora-"

"And I've told you not to speak to me that way, brother!" I say quickly. "I am telling you, because I am just as worried." I say, and he stares back at me, as he studies me.

"My brother can handle this- my family is at stake, too, Owen- including Cora and the pups... but I know Danny can handle this."

"I wouldn't be so certain. We all need to talk before we change tonight. Danny needs to pull this off-"

"It's this kind of pressure- that you've always put on him- that is stressing him out. It's driving him crazy." I scorn Owen. He looks at me seriously.

"You won't always be able to baby him Cora, if he goes rogue it will only have hindered him more-"

"Shut up, dude-"

"It's true, Dylan. I've been on edge long enough. This needs to end." Owen says, before he walks away. I sigh, and put my hand on my stomach.

"He's being so helpful." I say sarcastically.

Dylan takes his eyes from Owen, who he's watching walk away, and looks at me.

"He's a broken record. And so is my brother, but he's right. You can't keep defending him, and neither can I. Actions speak louder than words- and he used to be all action- the scouts are just finished with words. Something has to change- better or worse- remaining the same never helped anyone grow." Dylan says, and then leaves back into the house, without saying a word.

I look out to the forest and wonder how close Daniel is. I wonder if he's okay. Things can't fall apart like this- not now, after everything we accomplished. Maybe they're right, maybe he isn't cut out for this anymore.

Maybe Daniel was right, maybe we should run while we still can...

Only my inner Luna protests.

Danny may be the reason I became Luna, but I'm who I'm supposed to be on my own- and if I'm Luna, then he's the Alpha, I can't doubt that.

I feel a baby kick a few times and groan as I place my hand on my stomach.

"Are you okay?"

I jump at the sound of the small voice and my hairs stand on end.

"I'm sorry Luna, I didn't mean to frighten you." Lucy says as she stands up from where she had been tucked beneath the porch. I would be lying if I said it didn't worry me that she had been hiding under there. Had she snuck closer to hear us argue, to find out our weaknesses? I didn't want to believe that- she has helped us so much, and is only a child- but I can't say it didn't cross my mind.

She was looking down at the doll Daniel and I had picked up for her a few days ago while we were out in town, but when I sigh she looks up at me, her big brown eyes nervous with fear that she's upset me. I notice her arm is having a hard time healing from the three claw marks left by the rogue who hunted her. I remember she's just as much of a victim of these rogues as we are- and I feel that odd bond with her I felt the moment I met her.

"It's okay, Lucy, I just didn't know you were down there- why were you down there?" I ask. She shrugs, and smiles a smile that I've never seen on her face, yet it seems so familiar.

"No one looks for me under the porch, I mean Alice knows I'm outside, but I like to be alone sometimes- and it's close so it's safe- sometimes I pretend it's my own bat cave." She says shyly as she pushes her light brown hair behind her ear, nearly strawberry blonde in color as the sun starts to shine on it.

"Well, I think it's a great place for a bat cave." I say, and it causes her to beam proudly. "Would you like to come in for breakfast?" I ask her, and she nods, and slips under the rail and pulls herself up onto the deck. "Come on, then," I say as I believe her stand. "The girls will be happy to see you."

"Luna?" She looks up at me again as she picks up her doll, and moves her hair out of the way again, its messy curls brushing across her face in the wind.

"Yeah?"

"Is Alpha Daniel okay?" She asks quietly. She's always been nervous around him, since his welcome wasn't very warm, it's why we had gotten her the doll, to make her feel more welcome. She's clung to it ever since. I nod with a small smile, but my nerves were obviously showing. "Are the babies okay?"

"Of course, don't worry about that- you're a child, and I don't want you worrying about such things." I replied, and she smiled at this in a way I hadn't expected- in relief. It made me wonder if she had ever felt like a child before she came to live with us- and for some reason I felt guilty, because of it.

"Can I- can I have a hug Luna?" She asks nervously, and I don't hesitate to get down to her level and hug her tightly. I feel our bond again and hold her longer than I had expected.

"Anytime you want, sweetheart, now lets get you something to eat." I say, as I let her go. I take one long glance back at the forest, worried for Danny, as Lucy runs happily into the house.