Part Twenty-Three: On The Edge Of A Cliff

When we came out of the woods, no longer holding hands, sad looks on our faces, Owen and Sam looked disappointed. "What's up?" Owen asked. Danny shook his head and smiled brighter. I could tell he wanted to talk to them. And I had someone to talk to myself.

"I'm gonna go find dad..." I said quietly. Owen and Danny nodded. I felt Danny's eyes boring into me as I walked away, and I heard my wolf crying for me to return- but I had to do this. I walked through the crowd to find my dad, but he was nowhere, so I went into the house to see if he was in the kitchen still, getting one of his own beers from the fridge with Wyatt.

I took a deep breath before I entered the chaos of the house. It was loud and full of people, as usual. I saw my dad and Wyatt laughing at the counter as they drank beers. I felt my nerves tingle with anxiety. Part of me wanted to just join them, have a beer, forget anything had just happened... But it had.

"Hey Wyatt..." I said quietly. My dad looked at me, he knew me so well he just nodded, my dad was always very understanding.

"Hey I gotta check on Owen and Frea real quick, excuse me."

Wyatt smiled his wide toothy smile at me. "Hey babe, what's up?" Wyatt asked kissing my forehead as he came up to me. It felt different somehow. I still loved him, of course, but it felt odd for some reason.

"Hey I need to go to the car, will you come with me?" I asked. He smiled again.

"Of course babe, let's go." He said, leading the way out. I followed him out the front door and down the drive where we had parked, it was pretty far down the drive, because of all the people who showed up. And I felt lightheaded the more I walked. My brain was swimming with confusion, trying to take in all that had happened. What Danny had said to me. My emotions. My fear. The look on Danny's mature face, glowing as he saw me for the first time in years. The confident smile Wyatt gave me when I walked into the kitchen. The six years I had been with him. All we had been through. All the things me and Wyatt have done. I was so confused I literally felt like puking. Something has to be done, but how can I do anything when I'm this confused and hurt? And nauseous. Maybe this all would be easier if I was still changing, but now I couldn't do anything about it.

As we walked past the woods I took in every tree, trying to slow time down so I could think just a little bit longer, push some things in my mind aside.

We made it to the car in good time and Wyatt unlocked it so I could grab my purse. I sighed as I bent over in the car to grab it and took a deep breath. My nerves were so shot I almost couldn't think straight enough to remember that I had tucked the purse under my seat. I stood up out of the car as I put my purse over my shoulder. I looked back towards the party and then back down the road as Wyatt was turned from me, finishing his cigarette. I knew that Owen was going to wonder where I went if I left, but I wanted so badly to just get back in the car, drive home, get wasted, and pretend I never came here... But how could I? Even if I went home I would never be able to get the image of Danny's proud smiling face when he realized I was there in front of him. No amount of alcohol or drugs could stop me from replaying that moment in my head forever.

I felt like I was standing on the edge of a cliff with no way out, but to jump. And  if I was going to jump... Who would catch me? I knew the answer. The one who's been there for me all along.