Part Ninety-Six: Cliff

I sigh as I put my hand on my hip.

"Lucy, your mom said to stay here tonight, with the girls- and that she'll come get you in the morning." I tell her, as I place a plate of food in front of her, and then one for Violet, who is sitting beside her. Lucy nods as she closes her notebook. She's asked me to call Alice her mom, and I wasn't going to deny her that. She's a determined girl, and she's trying to adapt quickly, and blend in with the others. She doesn't speak much, but she's doing better than we expected, and fits in with the girls pretty well.

"Oh! That's going to be so much fun!" Rosie says, about the sleepover, as I put a plate in front of her.

"Yeah, except we have to write a huge essay tonight." Violet complains, as Lavender comes down the stairs, and enters the kitchen.

"You didn't finish your essays, yet?" I scold them.

"They never get their homework done till the night before." Lavender says, as she hands me a packet of her work, and gives Violet a catty look.

"Lavender, could you not pick a fight?" I ask as I hand her a plate, and she nods reluctantly.

"Where's Danny?" She asks. I sigh, and look up at the clock.

"He should be home any minute. He went to speak to some of the elders." I say as I make up a plate for him, I can sense he's close anyway.

"Is there something wrong?" Lavender asks as she begins to eat.

"No, everything's fine." I say, but Lucy looks up at me, and Lavender gives me a look that says she doesn't believe me. "Lavender, if we thought it was worth involving you we would." I say with a sigh.

It'll be any day now that we'll have to tell her, anyway. In the last week, since we talked to Lucy about the rogues, we've had nearly thirty rogues on our land. We've had to end more than half of them. Danny doesn't want me leaving the front field. Today he went to speak to the Elders of the tribe, they'll inform the lower ranked wolves about the danger in the area- because if the rogues are attacking us like this, it's a matter of time until they attack anyone associated with the main pack. If they haven't already. Rogues don't exactly play by the rules, and if they do happen to attack... Well if we can't protect the land... then the others should know they might be in danger without us.

The others will all be informed, they'll be told about the danger, and then they'll be asked if they want to help- at least a few of them. We're planning a strike, and if we get enough of them to volunteer, then we attack. We can't wait for Rowan, we can't wait for the babies to be here, we just have to do this. The girls don't need to know that tonight though, tonight they just need food and homework.

"Lavender will you get the door?" I ask her, because she's catching on to my nerves too well these days.

She rolls her eyes and goes to open the door, just as Danny walks up to it, bags in his arms.

"Stop doing that Cora, it's creepy." Lavender says, as she crosses the room, and sits back down on her stool. Danny gives me a nervous smile as he enters the house- Dylan and Owen behind him. Danny comes into the kitchen, and kisses my forehead when he walks by, before taking the bags to the counter.

"Hey, love." I say, as he empties the grocery bags.

"Hey babe, the guys are staying for dinner, everyone in the other house already ate." He says as he comes up to me and kisses my temple.

"Okay." I nod and begin making more plates.

"Now I know something is up- you took Owen, and Dylan with you." Lavender says as she takes her plate to the sink, and Dylan takes her seat.