Part Thirty-Three: What Could Happen

I ran towards home, one paw after the other as fast as I could. It had been a long night without Danny. When we got home from town- especially after ditching out on duties last night- he had to go scouting without me. I was still too rusty to run with the scouts, I could have ran with other members of the pack who weren't scouts, but I didn't feel like connecting with any of them tonight. So I took the night to myself, running up river mostly, because it was one of my favorite things to do; run through the river, hunt a few fish or a deer along the shore, bathe in the sparking water. I felt so free and alive that I had spent all night having fun, and I didn't realize how close to morning it had become. Even some of the hunters and scouts would be home already, maybe even my family.

I ran as fast as my four paws could take me, barely making the clearing before my wolf gave up on me. I painfully shifted back into my human form; I still had to get used to the feeling again. I found my shorts and top and threw them on. As I pulled my shirt on I thought I felt something or someone behind me, and pulled my head through my shirt quickly and turned on my heels in the direction I heard a small twig snap.

"Hello?" I called, thinking it may be Danny, but I got no reply. I stared into the still dark forest and tried to spot a person or animal, or whatever had made the noise, but saw nothing.

Feeling very tired I began to run as fast as my weak human legs could take me. I would be lying if I said I wasn't slightly frightened. I knew running might make me look weak, but I reasoned this was all in my head and if I were around my family it would go away. I had been feeling someone was watching me before, but it only helped me reason it was just in my head.

"Coralie!" I heard Danny yell out for me as he ran from the front of the house- where he had left earlier to shift- towards me. I ran straight into his arms as I huffed and tried to catch my breath. "What's wrong? I felt your fear from miles away, I ran home as quick as I could-" he pushed my hair behind my ears as he checked my face. I shook my head.

"I- I don't know- I just- I spooked myself I guess..." I admitted, feeling silly.

"Are you sure? What happened?" He asked. I shook my head.

"I just- I thought I felt someone behind me, but when I looked no one was there..." I swallowed hard and he searched my eyes and sighed.

"Don't scare me like that." He hugged me close to his chest. "And don't worry, we've gained control over twice as much land since you were a scout, and we've kept our borders very strong, no one could ever hurt you. I would never let anyone hurt you..." He said quietly. I nodded as I hugged him as tightly as I could. I knew from his voice I had touched a sensitive chord by worrying him. He had seen his whole pack and family slaughtered in his early childhood, and I didn't think to not scare him like that when he had those memories to deal with.

"Come on, let's get you inside, get you some food." He said. I nodded and followed, but not before glancing back at the forest to make sure there was nothing there.

***********************************

I was laying on Danny's bed half napping half reading a book as he did homework- he only had a few packets left before getting his diploma- and then suddenly he dropped his pen. I looked at him, but he wasn't looking at me, he was just staring through the wall it seemed. I watched him for a moment, watched the small jerking motions in his pupils, the same motion that peoples eyes do when they are dreaming or remembering something. "Danny- baby- are you okay?" I asked. At first he didn't respond, but then he shook his head and looked up at me. When he smiled it wasn't genuine, it was forced, but he was trying to look happy; I could tell.

"Sorry love. I was- I was just lost in thought..." He said as he went back to his homework. I sighed and closed my book.

"What were you thinking about?" I asked softy, trying not to push him into talking about what made him seem so worried or thoughtful. He sighed, dropped his pen again, and rubbed his face with both hands, and then his hair as he leaned back into his chair.