Part Sixty-One: Mismatched Mates

I decided to take the day off from duties, or running, or any of that. I wasn't feeling good, and my stomach was turning, constantly. Danny was off training, and the only part of the house with any noise was the kitchen. Despite everyone moving into the other house this weekend, everyone still flocks here. I climbed out of bed, sighing as I smelt Danny all around me. After quickly getting dressed I left my room to venture downstairs, but stopped when I heard music coming from Lavender's room. I knocked on the door twice before she answered.

"I told you- I'm sick Rose!" She called out. I knocked again, as I opened the door. "Oh, it's you." She said as she closed the book she was reading. "Sorry about that... I thought you were Rose again, she keeps asking me to play outside with her..." She said, placing her book down.

"Why aren't you at training?" I asked as I stepped in more. She shrugged, but I could tell she had a lot on her mind.

"Mostly, because my bones are sore from growing, kind of because I'm sick, and kind of..." She paused and shook her head. "Probably, because the letter Durst sent me." She sighed and looked away, so I sat on her bed with a sigh, hunkering down to talk to her.

"Do you want me to kill him?" I asked, widening my eyes as I looked at her seriously.

"What?!" She chuckled, causing me to crack as well. "No-no. I just wish this would stop. I don't want to be in lo-" she stopped herself and shook her head again. "I don't want to have a mate."

"I didn't either, at first you know..."

"What- but you and Danny are so in love?"

"Yeah, but we haven't always been this close- I mean I loved him from day one, unconditionally, but I fought it so hard. I know you've heard about us staying separated for six years, but I don't know if you realize it was my choice as well as the councils. I pretty much ran away from him, I felt wrong, and hurt- that the fates had brought me into such an uncomfortable position... You have to realize how he feels..."

"It just hurts so much that he won't give me a chance. I'm not saying now- that would be gross- he's old... But knowing I won't ever have another chance hurts so much Cora- my last mate beat me- and now I have Durst... And he wants nothing to do with me... If it weren't for training I would go crazy. I just want to be wolf- I want to be a scout- and that's all that's keeping me going right now..."

"Then focus on that Lavender, be the strongest you that you can be. No one in this world can make you as happy as you can make yourself. Grow up strong, focus on what's right ahead of you now, and when the time comes, you'll know what to do." I smiled weakly at her. For the first time I was truly realizing the impact I had on Danny. Through Lavender I was being forced to witness what he was put through the whole time I had run off with Wyatt. For the first time I have to see the same sad look in her eyes that he must have had. I have to watch her push through it everyday, in physical and emotional pain, but this time I can't do anything about it.

"Thank you Luna... I don't feel good about this, but I feel better... I guess... No- I am strong. And I'll focus on being the best I can. I don't need him anyway. Him and his stupid-...handsome- face." She said, a small laugh following her words, but she had a very sad look behind her eyes.

"Good, I'll need you to be strong when you eventually join us at night." I said, trying to boost her confidence; she beamed at that, and I felt her mood lift. "Do you want to come get some breakfast with me?" I asked, she nodded a small nod.

**************************************************

"One more time!" I shouted as I ran past Danny, not bothering to wait for a reply, just pushing my feet further and harder. Everyone else had gone in from training already, but I didn't want to stop until I couldn't keep going. I wanted to keep running laps until I felt the satisfaction of improvement. I haven't trained in a few days, and I needed to push myself more to improve. "One more!" I said, with what little extra breath I could get. Again, I waited for no reply. My feet stumbled a bit, but I caught myself, and straightened up again.