Part Seventy-Seven: Just One Day

"What are you doing in here?" I asked Cora as I walked into the nursery. She shrugged. I had awoken to her no longer being in bed; when we returned from scouting she had worn me out and I fell hard asleep. I had chased her all night, but the things we did after I caught up with her had been much more exhausting. "Are you okay?"

"Just been thinking about them a lot lately." She said as she rubbed her hand over the small bump on her stomach. She hadn't come in again since we painted it three weeks ago. At first I thought it was just because of the fumes, but we aired it out for a week, and she still hasn't stepped a foot in it since. The last few times we've gotten gifts for them she sent me upstairs to put them in the closet. Now she was sitting on the  bed, the only piece  of furniture we kept in the room.

I sat down beside her and kissed her temple.

"Are you doing okay?" I asked. She nodded, but I sensed she wasn't telling the truth. I wasn't going to push it though.

"How are the kids doing in training?" She asked. She's skipped practice for a week now, because of her morning sickness, but she's been scouting, and keeping up just fine.

"The oldest, Shawn- he's doing well. And Beckett seems to be catching on quickly." I said, trying to ease her worry.

"Is Kaylee still falling behind?"

"She's one of the younger ones, so she is struggling a bit, but she's catching up." I sighed and wrapped my arm around her. "What are you really worried about?" I asked. She leaned up and kissed my jawline, causing me to smile, despite my worry.

"I'm not worried. And maybe that's what's making me feel so uneasy. I've never been this sure in my life. I'm where I want to be. I am with you. I am with child- children- our children. And I am Luna. I guess I'm just worried about what's next. When you have it all you have everything to lose." She chuckled, despite fighting back tears. "I think I want to be alone for a bit." She said, before kissing my cheek.

"We have to scout soon..."

"I- I think I'm going to sit this one out." She said, her voice anxious and worried. I tried reading her, but it was like she was fuzzy.

"Just tonight?" I asked. She smiled, and I felt no lie in it as she nodded.

"I have something I want to do." She said, as she nuzzled me for a moment. "Now go on and lead them Alpha, they need you."

"They need you, too- I need you." I whined, a smile creeping over my face from her words.

"Just tonight Danny, and don't keep me waiting in the morning." She said, her eyes in serious slits as she tried not to smile back at me.

"Oh I won't Luna." I chuckled, catching her sweet lips as they curled into a smile, willingly now. They responded quickly, and it caught me off guard, but I returned her passion, wanting to pull her closer to me. I touched her face, and reached for her side, but she pulled away.

"When you get back." She said, kissing my lips again, like a promissory note. I nodded, leaning in to touch her lips against mine again, but having to stop as I felt myself being drawn in by her. "Later, I promise."

**************************************************

"Where's Cora?" I asked as I entered the house. Rosie rolled her eyes.

"Hello brother, nice to see you as well, oh did scouting go nice?- Sir." She mocked. I rolled my eyes and put my hands on the counter.

"Hello sister. How is your morning going?" I asked as I watched her move across the kitchen. I had a fuzzy memory of my mother moving across the kitchen the exact same way- zig zagging and hesitating in the same pattern. I took a deep breath and shook it off.

"It's going fine actually, except I didn't get much sleep-"

"I said bedtime before eight-"

"We did go to bed at eight. We woke up to help Coralie- oh! You aren't supposed to know we helped Coralie! Dang it Danny, don't tell her I said anything!" She said, panicking, causing me to grow nervous.

"Help her with what? Is she okay-"

"She's fine lover boy..." Vi said as she walked down the stairs into the kitchen.

"Hey-"

"She's upstairs in the nursery." Vi said as she pointed above her, with a shrug of her shoulders.

"You two, go upstairs after you eat and sleep more. We'll talk about your attitudes after breakfast." I said, before heading upstairs, ignoring their rants of disapproval. I went towards the nursery, worried for Coralie, wondering why she would be in the nursery all night.

"Come in Danny." She said, before I even knocked. Her senses have been so strong lately that it almost spooks me from time to time. I opened the door slowly. I knew there was a lot to take in, but I mostly saw her smiling brightly at me, a look of accomplishment over her face. "What do you think?" She asked as she stood away from the pillow she was fixing in the bassinet beside her.

She had put together three cribs, a changing table, and a bassinet while I was gone, and decorated it with what stuff she had already gotten.

"They call it nesting I guess, I just wanted to show you how much I want this too. The babies I mean. I'm not scared. I'm ready." She said; with her hair a mess, and her brow sweaty, her eyes tired, and her rounding stomach falling out of her shirt- she never looked so beautiful. "This one, this one is Gavin's." She said, walking up to the one on the right side of the room.

"It's perfect Cora." I said, walking up to her so I could wrap her up in my arms. "I can't believe you did all of this."

"Honestly... The girls helped. I could have done it on my own, but it would have taken me forever, so I had them help..."

"Well you all did really well."

"How was scouting?"

"Nothing to report. Don't know how the others are going to do when you have to be out from scouting soon, though, they all missed you."

"Well, I've decided to scout until I have the babies. So they won't miss me too much." She said. I looked at her, amazed by her tenacity.

"Alright then, you coming out later tonight?"

"I told you just one day."