Part One: Free Like Wind Like Fire.

*** read description first for tw, thank you, enjoy :)***

"Cora!" I stir in my bed, groan, and when I look at the clock on my nightstand I shoot up. Is that the time?! I race across my room, throw on the shorts I wore to the bonfire last night, brush my brown hair, trying to get the lower back length knots to untangle, but failing miserably. I leave my room, running to the front door to let Frea, my only close female friend, into the cabin. She had woken me up this way, tapping and yelling at my window, at least once a week for the last twelve years of our friendship. "Cora!" I heard her yell from the front porch as I stole a muffin from the kitchen island and ran across the living room.

"I'm coming!" I yelled. "Get up Owen!" I added, yelling down the hall towards his room. My dad would be up already, having left to have his morning hunt, but Owen was definitely sleeping like a turd on a log.

I ran to the door, threw it open in my urgency. "SURPRISE!"

I stumbled back and my friends laugh at my shock, and given not one of them had ever been able to surprise me much, I couldn't blame them. Frea, Alice, Durst, and Sam stood there with grins on their faces; balloons, flowers, gifts, and a sign that said:

Happy Birthday Coralie!...
And Owen ;)

"You guys are amazing!" I say as I hug each of them. They all said you're welcome and hugged me back. "Come in, have some food, I'll open these up!" I said as I invited them in, not that I had to, Frea only knocked out of courtesy when she picked me up for school. Our door was always open to the pack, and all of my friends were part of the pack.

"Well I feel loved." Owen said as he walked in from his room. Sam handed a present to him, Owen said 'right on', and he went straight to the fridge.

"You know tomorrow will be all about you anyway Owen." Frea said snidely. Her and Owen were like water and oil together, if you shake them up enough they got along, but when things were settled they pushed against each other.

"Oh, right, proceed." He said with a sarcastic and smug smile towards her. She rolled her eyes and handed me her present.

"Oh, bacon!" Durst said as he sat on the bar stool opposite the kitchen island of Owen, who started the stove in front of him. We all gathered around as he cooked, Alice helping him by making eggs.

I chuckled, shook my head at Durst, and opened my gifts with everyone encouraging me. My pack knew me well, and got me useful things, perfume, clothes, a new strap for my bow, and other little things they thought I would like. I thanked them a million times and we all laughed, spoke, and ate as much breakfast as we could muster. Breakfast was an important meal for any future werewolf, and our pack knew how to eat, in fact we always had food around considering from a young age our bodies ran off of more fuel than humans.

We ate, tidied up together, and the six of us headed out for the school bus together.

"I'm so jealous, this time tomorrow you guys might be changing already." Sam mentioned as we walked.

"Yeah, but you'll be changing in two weeks, I have to wait another month!" Alice protested.

"At least you're not the baby of our litter." Frea complained. By litter she meant the kids in or pack that were our age, it always happened like that, one member of the pack would get pregnant and then the other women would follow by nature, this happened every few years, with only a few children born in between. There were currently two litters younger than us, a litter of twelve year olds, and a litter born last autumn who were turning one about now. "I won't change for six more months." Frea griped; her mother had tried the hardest to avoid our litter and wait for the next, but Frea came regardless.