Part Eighty-Seven: Family

I look across the room to where I knew Danny had fallen asleep, and I was happy to hear he was still resting. He hasn't gotten good sleep in days. Last night I found him passed out on the floor along the couch, where Lavender was sleeping with a newly shaved head. I had come down stairs because he had never come back to bed, but when I saw them any worry washed away.

It was a start. He needs to be around family more, and this was as good a start as any. He stirs in his sleep, and growls a bit, but doesn't wake.

I walk to the kitchen and start up breakfast. The past few days have been quiet, but I want to keep us together and strong; Danny being awake again isn't a reason to fall apart, but grow stronger. I start up batter for muffins, being as quiet as I can, but Lavender still stirs. She's hyper sensitive right now to sounds and smells, because she's gaining new abilities every day, at times in uneven levels. She stands up and stretches, and when she sees me, her arms still raised in the air, her face turns into a sleepy smile.

"Good morning Lavender." I say with a chuckle.

"Morning momma," she says as she yawns. She freezes and so do I, she looks embarrassed and shocked, and all I can do is chuckle and shake my head at her silly shocked face. "Sorry- I- I didn't mean-"

"It's okay Lavender." I shrug, as I keep stirring the whisk in the bowl in my arms. "Why don't you get cleaned up and then come help with breakfast. We'll give Frea and your sisters a break today?" I say. She hums a 'yeah' nervously as she goes towards the stairs. "And change for training, we're starting early." I add, as she goes up the stairs.

"Yes Luna!" She calls back, and I wince at her voice level, hoping she hasn't woken the girls, or Daniel. I sigh when I hear her door close, but no other sounds of people waking. I get through adding the mix into the muffin tins, and putting the various toppings on each, and start grabbing other things from the fridge, when I see Heather peeking in through the glass. She waves, and then let's herself in, as I wave back.

"You're up early." I tease as she trudges in and plops down on the stool across the island from me.

"Yeah, couldn't sleep." She sighed. "Can I make some coffee?" She asks, standing right back up as she walks to the machine.

"Yep, will you pull out a few mugs, and some plates while you're in the cupboard?"

"Yes Ma'am." She says with a small nod. She's quiet for a moment, but then she clears her throat nervously. "Hey, Luna?" She says quietly.

"Yeah?" I ask, looking up from the fruit I had been cutting. She doesn't look at me, for a second she turns to, but looks back at the coffee filter in her hands for a moment.

"Is Alpha Daniel really okay?" She asks quietly. I look to the couch, and even though he's on the other side of it, and I can't see him, I know he's still asleep by the rhythm of his heart and his breathing.

"You know what it's like to wake up after being gone for a while... It's just been hard on him to come back. He'll be okay though." I nod.

"Are you okay, Luna?" She asks nervously, and looks at me. She has the fear of a child on her face, and she looks like she's about to cry. I drop what I'm doing instantly.

"Oh- Heather..." I coo as I hug her to me, she's so much taller so she has to crouch significantly to put her head on my shoulder, but she hugs me back desperately. "What's wrong?"

"I- I always have weird dreams before something bad happens- Hunter- he- thinks it's..." She shakes her head and let's go of me. "He thinks it's a gift, a power I have inherited, but I think it's a curse. I had this weird dream last night, of you, and you were glowing red, and you were asleep, and that was it. Just you in the dark... And this... Red glowing..." She shook her head.