Part Eighty-One: Cozy

Cora's POV:

"Do you feel... Right... There?" I moved his hand over the lowest part of my stomach. I felt Gavin kick and knew if Danny were awake he'd feel him, too.

"He's showing off for his papa..." I chuckled, feeling the kicking again. "There's Payton..." I said as there was another kick. "They're getting crowded in there. They're five months now..." I sat beside him and held his hand in mine. "The doctors said they're doing okay, but I need to go to checkups more regularly, keep an eye on them... Your doctors are worried, they want to bring you to a hospital, they just know we can't. You're healing, though, and we have faith in you..." I put his hand on my stomach again and I'm pretty sure it was Morgan who tried to kick his hand, but she missed a bit, barely getting his fingers with her foot... And I swear I felt his pinky twitch. It was barely anything, but I thought I felt it, and that was enough. "I know you can hear me Danny... Just please wake up... I don't think I can do this without you..." I said quietly. "Cheyenne will be here in two months, twice that time and I'll be holding the babies. You need to be there, Danny- please. I know there were times there, where I was down and out- but being on the other side is tearing me apart. I need you Danny... You're my mate..." I rubbed my fingers across his face and brushed his hair back, then touched the scruff on his chin. "You're our Alpha..."

There was a knock on the door and I looked up towards it. I wipe my eyes again, and held Danny's hand, knowing it was almost time to scout I wanted to be near him for as long as possible.

"Come in..." I said, sensing it was Dylan from his worry. I looked from the door back to Danny.

"We're heading out soon Luna." Dylan said as he entered the room, not walking any further past the threshold than he needed to close the door. He stood in attention, his arms at his sides, he was both being obedient and showing his hurt. He doesn't let people know when he comes in to see Danny. When he has to come in with someone else he doesn't really look at him. We're all coping in our own way, though.

"I'll be out there to lead soon." I said with a nod.

"I'll tell the others Ma'am."

"We have a long night ahead of us. Tell Owen to go over everyone's orders. We should all be expecting to take lives of the rogues tonight... Lead everyone in a prayer, okay Dyl?"

"Yes Ma'am." He nodded quickly. He has been the hardest to keep close to the ancestors and the guiding of the gods, but that's why I have him lead the prayers. We need to remember being wolf is part of who we are. During times of peace we tend to forget that- we act more human- but we need to remember it now more than ever. Taking another wolves life should be hard, a rogue should be pitied for its struggle that led it to stray from the elders into corruption, into a life of murder and pillaging. When we have to kill them we have to show no mercy, yet pity them. It's hard and it's confusing, especially when someone we love is hurt, because of them.

"You're leading us all well." Dylan said. I looked up at him, and when I smiled at him he looked down at Danny. "He'd be proud..."

"Thank you-"

"We'll need him to defeat them. You're doing a wonderful job Luna, but we'll need him to defeat them. There are so many of them, they are ruthless, and they don't abide by the boundaries we've all set to stay under the human's radar. They shot my brother in cold blood. They didn't care about his sacrifice, they didn't hesitate, and they won't quit until they've taken over this pack. They got close enough to lure Durst out, and he fell for it. We were disoriented before any of this happened, he was just getting us back together-"