Part Five: New Friends and Enemies

Dear Coralie,

I hope you are okay. I'm getting better, and I don't want you to worry about me. I don't want you to be sad. I miss you already. I know I should be sad about my family, but all I think about is you. I miss you more than anyone. So far I like it here, my new family is nice, and Dylan told me all about the school I'm going to go to, and it seems cool, but I just miss you. Dylan thinks I'm being silly, but I can't help it. He knows why I feel like this, he's the only kid who really gets to know, but he still doesn't get it. My new dad Sean said he'll sign me up for karate to keep my mind off it though. Will you come if I earn a new belt? I hope you can. I'll miss you everyday.

- Daniel

     Oh yeah, Happy Birthday, I didn't known it was your birthday the other night, so I asked Sean if I could get you something. I hope you like it.

I held the small bear as I read the letter he had sent me. The little bear smelt like grass after rain, and though his hand writing was sloppy his words were sweet.

I sighed. Last night with Wyatt and his friends was nice, we went to a movie, and then shared a pizza together, and we all laughed... but I miss my pack. I was too nervous to leave my room today, not wanting to be seen by anyone who stopped by. Tonight my pack duties would begin, but I didn't feel close to anyone. Owen never talked to me after yesterday, and when Durst and Frea came over they had breakfast with Owen and left.

My dad had knocked on my door, gave me a heaping plate of breakfast, and held up the bear and letter uncomfortably. "Well this is for you." He said as he handed it to me and placed my food on the dresser beside the door. He left without another word, and I read it three times before I put it down.

I went to my dresser and picked through a few pieces of fruit in the plate, not feeling all that hungry. I went to my desk to write Daniel back.

Dear Daniel,

I stared at the blank page. What do I even say? I started with what I knew.

I miss you too. I know how weird it is, missing someone you don't really know. I lost my mom too, a long time ago, but for some reason I miss you more than I ever missed anyone, even her. I'm glad you are getting better, you can't imagine how terrified I was that you might die. I know things are weird, and that people won't understand, but remember that I'll always be here, and I'll always understand.  I'm so thankful Sean and his family seem to be kind to you. I hope you know if I could I would keep you safe with me, but Sean will do the best he can, and I can tell your new brother will protect you. I don't know when I will be able to see you next, it will be up to the elders and the council, but if I get the choice I wouldn't miss anything important to you, not for anything in the world. I'm proud of you already, I'm proud of how strong you are, and I want you to keep being my little fighter. Stay safe.

-Coralie

P.S. I love my gift, thank you Danny! When is your birthday? I want to mark it in my calendar and send you something too.

Before I could re-read it, second guess myself or feel weird, I put the letter in an envelope and put the proper addresses on it. I slipped my shoes on and grabbed the station wagon keys from the bowl beside the front door as I went to leave. I didn't trust anyone but myself to send it. Just as I was about to leave the front door I heard voices coming from my dad's office, and decided to eves drop, it sounded serious, and I wasn't opposed to sneaking to see if it was about me.

"We don't know for sure who did it..."

"We know they aren't from around here..."

"They must be from the east coast, they would have never gotten that close if they knew our much larger pack was only miles away..."