Part Fifty-Two: You

Mean.

I had called her it once carelessly when I was a kid.

I had wished- since the moment my hand had released that letter into the blue bin outside the post office as a child- that I had never sent that letter to her. That I could somehow get it out and tear it to shreds. I went there the next morning to ask if I could get it back, but they had already shipped it off. I thought about running to her house that night, taking a bus, somehow getting to her house and taking it from her mailbox at the end of the road that we now live together on, but I never could.

Mean.

I guess I had been, but realizing it didn't make me feel any better.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes as I rested my elbows on my desk. There was a knock on my door and I sat up.

"Come in." I said quickly, hoping it was Coralie, but sensing it wasn't.

"Hey- Sir." Owen smiled as he leaned in the door and then walked in, closing the doors behind him, he approached cautiously, but seemingly not as worried as I was. "So I take it things went bad?" Owen asked as he settled in the chair Lavender had just been in.

"She called me mean."

"She's a young girl-"

"Not Lavander ." I sighed and leaned back in my chair. "Coralie."

"Ouch." Owen teased as he let out an exasperated wincing sound. I glared at him, but he just chuckled.

"Lavender just hates me." I added as I rolled my eyes. I was glad he had shown up, before I let my emotions get the best of me. He could cheer most people up like that. That's why I irrefutably made him my Beta.

"So Durst isn't changing anymore, then?" He said with a concern of a Beta in his eyes.

"Nope. Lavender begins training tomorrow." I nodded.

"Well, like I said when you asked me, I support your decision, but we're down one damn good scout." He sighed now.

"We'll need new ones. You know it as much as I do."

"But who?"

"Cora actually thought of a solution. She suggested we hold a try out with the other pack members."

"That's actually brilliant." He smiled.

"Yeah... She's brilliant."

"She's going to be a great Luna."

"I know... I just don't think I show it enough... And now she's mad at me..." I rubbed my hands through my hair and sighed.

"So apologize." He suggested. My wolf didn't like the idea, but I already knew I should. Owen rolled his eyes at me. "Alpha, I understand the way you feel, I have the same difficulty with Frea when we argue- we're used to being in control and being respected. This isn't the dark ages though, and I've seen you treat Cora like an equal before, so apologize. It might hurt your wolfs ego, but fuck him in this situation."

My wolf growled, but I nodded.

"You're right."

"I know- that's why I'm beta. So make up with my sister and figure it out. When are you going to make an honest women out of her anyway? She's already changing into a Luna bit by bit, it would be helpful to have one around. This pack has been without one for way too long."

"She's not ready." I sighed.

"Is she not ready? Or are you not ready?"

"Both?" I chuckled as I looked back at him. "I can't get near her without my wolf wanting to take control... And she's- she gets nervous when I touch her or even just kiss her sometimes- how am I supposed to claim her? - and why am I having this conversation with you?"