Part Forty-Five: Understanding

Danny's POV:

I blinked my eyes open and sighed as I flipped on my back. I must have fallen asleep in Coralie's room again, dreaming she's home.

Wait- she is home.

I shot up and looked around the room, nothing seemed changed. I ran to the bathroom, but she wasn't there. I felt my heart beating fast. It would be night soon, and now she was missing.

Fear rose in me so uncontrollable that I growled as I stomped from one room to the other.

You fool. She's in danger already. You let her out of your sight. You're so weak-

Shut up.

I shook my head and continued my search as I tried to suppress my wolf.

I ran from the room after checking the guest bathroom. Everyone else seemed to be asleep after the commotion of this morning, and the house was still. It was nightfall, but I don't think anyone will be waking up early tonight. I grew scared as I failed to find her. I ran down the stairs and to the living room, through to the kitchen, and with every moment with no sign of her my heart dropped.

I had only one hope, and that was that she'd be outside on the porch.

I ran outside and my heart fell to my stomach and I began to shake.

She isn't here. She's gone. You let our mate be in harms way. Again.

I panicked more at the thoughts of my wolf.

Until I saw a note on the table.

I walked over to it.

Danny,

I knew you'd fight me on this, so I had to do it this way... I'm sorry if it upsets you, but try to understand it is what I want. If that's worth anything. I'm going to keep doing it no matter what; you're a strong Alpha, and I have to be strong, I have to be a good partner for you, and I haven't always been... But that changes from here on out.

I'm so madly in love with you Danny.

Love, your mate,

Coralie

I looked over the note, checked the back, read it again.

What does she mean?

My heart grew panicked at the memory of the last letter she ever wrote me, the one saying she didn't want to write to me anymore. The one where she made the decisions for us; and that decisions tore my heart from me.

But then I heard a small whimper and a light snore. I ran down the porch steps and stopped when I saw her sleeping just under the porch

You're lucky.

I know.

I approached her slowly and her ear twitched towards me, but it didn't wake her. She sighed through her nose. "Awa... Coralie..." I sighed as I chuckled and dropped to my knees in the grass beside her. I pet the fur on her neck and her tail wagged. She didn't wake up, so I buried my face in her fur around her neck, and kissed behind her ears. She's seen me like this, a wolf when she wasn't in her wolf form herself, but I have yet to see her the same way. It was oddly natural through, the pride of my people were being wolves, we are wolves inside- before humans, and seeing her like this felt like seeing her true form, and she is so beautiful in her wolf form.

She breathed in deeply, and I could tell that even in her wolf form she was weak. If I had been awake I would have stopped her, and I know she knew that; I knew it more by the note she left. She knew I would say it's too soon, that the drugs are still in her system. She would have insisted, but I would have convinced her not to...