Part Ninety: Tradition

I groaned as I pulled myself out of bed and stood up. Danny isn't in bed- again. I sighed as I ran my hand over my stomach and walked across the room. "Come on kids, let's go find your father- ow- Gavin! I swear..." I winced and stretched my back, I knew it was him because he always kicked the most when Danny was gone. I've spent weeks now with his foot lodged somewhere near my ribs.

I walk down the hall, and notice the babies room is open. When I peer in I sigh. I knew he'd be here. I just had a feeling. He was sitting in the chair I had ordered for him while he was in the coma. We'll have to do a lot together, including rocking them to sleep, so it was also kind of a gift for myself. He loved it though, and sometimes when he really wants to sleep he'll come in here. I know he's worried about leading again, because he's been unsteady at best, but he wants to prove he can. Our family is growing more and more each year, and he wants to keep us all safe, I understand now how hard it is.

"Danny?" I said his name softly, I had heard his sleep breathing stop. He sighed and rubbed his eyes.

"Yeah?" He said softly, he patted his lap. I walked across the room and sat on his lap. He gets stronger and stronger again everyday, and I'm pretty sure he'll be stronger than ever when the kids finally get here. He's even growing facial hair at a faster rate.

"Are you okay?" I asked, as he adjusted to hold me more securely, and rested his hands over my stomach.

"Yeah, just nervous about tomorrow, so I came to sleep in here..." He said as he nuzzled up to my neck. "Tell me what went on while I was in the coma-"

"Danny there's nothing I could say that could prepare you."

"Coralie, I got all A's in high school, I'm a black belt in karate, I have to study, it calms me down."

"I don't want to worry you-"

"Cora please..." He sighed. He sounds upset, and worried, and I wonder if his demons are loud like mine used to be. I kiss his forehead and sigh, and hug him close so he can rest his tired head on my chest, and I hold him like I did before all of this stress invaded his life. I felt partially responsible, but if I was responsible for the bad than I had been responsible for the good as well. Since we've known each other he's gained everything he once had taken from him, and he's become a better man than I could have ever imagined.

"We were attacked three times while under my lead." I say quietly, my chin still resting on the top of his head. He freezes for a moment.

"Three?" He clears his throat after saying the number. I nod and look out the window.

"Their motives haven't seemed to change, but they're weak- for now. They're unorganized without a leader, but my dad said it could be years before they leave or die out, so we fought when we had to." I said as calmly as I could. He was breathing shallowly and taking in what I was saying. I had to give him that time, because when I was in the moment I had to experience the fear as well. The fear for our children. "It's why I didn't fight you too hard about staying around home and letting you lead. There were a few times where I had to be the Luna I was born to be- I had to fight to protect the others. So I did, even though I know you would have stopped me. It made my father very proud, and Owen pretty furious- because he was willing to protect me, but I wouldn't let him do it alone. Heather and Frea run near each other now, to balance out what was usually Alice and I up front. It was getting harder for me, but it worked for then. I think you should put Heather further up, though, she's afraid, but she's strong. She just can't hear it from me. She has to hear it from you. Hunter, too, he rests on Leon, because Leon is self assured, but Hunter needs to push himself." I said.

"You should have let me write that down." He chuckles sleepily.

"Are you mad?"

"That you fought? No. I'm just upset you had to. The idea makes me see red, makes me furious, but I'm so worried and worn out that right now I can't feel much of anything. I'm proud of you, and I love you, and I promise you'll never have to fight that hard again." He said as he kissed random parts of my cheek and my shoulder.