Part One Hundred and Five: Back Up

Start from the beginning

"Cora," my dad says my name as I walk into the kitchen and close the door behind me, "What's happening?" He asks, as he takes Cheyenne from me. Lavender comes up to me and grabs Chandler- who's hands instantly starts patting her aunts fuzzy hair. Lavender starts playing with her, but she's looking at me with worry as she takes a step back.

"Where's my brother?" She asks. "And where is Durst- what's happening-"

"Lavender, I need you to stay calm, okay?" I say, and she nods, but her facial expression doesn't change, and I can sense that she's angry. I promised myself I'd tell her what's happening, and now it seems I've run out of time. I just don't have the nerve. "Where are your sisters?"

"In the closet- in their room. I sensed Durst getting angry, or scared- I wasn't sure- anyway, I told the girls to hide in their rooms, and told Kaylee to stay in there with them. Then I came down here and Grandpa came and told me we need to get ready- what's happening-"

"Lavender. I really need you to be a big girl right now, and help me, so stay calm, promise me you can try, please."

"Yes, ma'am, I will- but please Luna, tell me what's happening," she says. My dad seems just as perplexed. I sigh.

"Danny went to lead the rogues-"

"What the f?!-"

"Lavender please!" I say sternly, as I hold my stomach, as it does nervous flips.

"He's going to take over, then turn against anyone who doesn't want to obey his orders. We need to be here to help him, because he's going to run them back here. I wasn't going to let him take on that many of them at once."

"Coralie this was a dumb idea-"

"It was Daniel's idea, dad, and you made him the Alpha for a reason. And I trust that. He wasn't going to let anyone stop him, because he never could- no one can ever tell Daniel what he can't do- because he can't help proving people wrong. So we need to help him. We need to back him up. We need to trust him." I say. Lavender nods.

"I'm in." She says. Brian laughs, and shakes his head.

"Me, too, cub- but if you're fightin'-" he hands Lavender Cheyenne, "- then so am I. What was that number again?"

"One hundred and twenty." I grumble as we chuckle in irony.

"What?!" Lavender almost yells. I hush her quickly.

"Don't worry Lavender- Grandpa always wanted to reach five hundred rogues, and I'm about thirty from my goal. I got a few more limbs I can live without, and with half my vision being twice as good as your mates hearing is, I think I can even out our numbers pretty well. So take care of the babies, and your sisters, and trust me and Durst will be right outside the house. And we aren't going to let anyone in." My dad says to Lavender, as her wide eyes grow more and more nervous.

"Yes Sir." Lavender says in a shaky voice. "Just- just keep Durst safe Grandpa. And try not to lose your other hand you old dog- I still want to beat you at arm wrestling some day. Just wish I was old enough to help more." She says as she looks at me. "Stay safe." She says, as she comes up to me, and I hug around her and the babies. I kiss each of their foreheads. "I'll try to keep the others calm, they don't need to know how bad it is."

"You're strong enough for all of them Lavender." I tell her, now more then ever I sense the same spirit she shares with her brother.

"I know." She chuckles. "Kaylee is a wreck enough as it is," She says with another roll of her eyes. "I'll take them to-"

"No, don't tell me, move to a room and don't tell anyone where you are. Danny is still our Alpha, so if we link up with the rogues I don't want Danny knowing where you are."

Lavender swallows hard again, and I see her fear return. "I'll get Danny back." I tell her. She nods.

"I know." She says, "love you guys." She says, as she goes up the stairs. My dad looks at me.

"You should stay in the house, too."

"Dad, I have to be near Danny when he comes back, I'm his anchor," I say, but his face is still worried.

"I can't lose you kid."

"You won't." I promise. He nods.

"Can't change your mind, can I?" He sighs. I shake my head.

"Nope." I say, ignoring my tears, because I don't want him to think I'm as worried as I feel. I want to be strong, too. "I'm all in for sure, Daddy." I say with a nod.

"I know. You always loved that boy more than air itself, I could tell, the moment I saw you running towards him. I knew you weren't my little girl anymore. Just stay close to me, I still want to be your Dad. I want to protect you, the same way he does."

"It's my turn to protect you Dad, I'm the Luna, I'm strong, and I have to do it." I say. He sighs. He touches my shoulders.

"Okay, pup, be safe." He says. I give him a big hug, and he lifts me in his embrace, before setting me back down. For a moment the days where I would ride on his back through the forest flashed through my memory, and I held onto that small moment as long as I could.

"Protect my girls." I tell him, as he follows me out to the yard again.

"I will!" He calls, and when I turn around I see Durst coming from the other house, and running across the field towards me.

"We're all ready." He says.

"You guys have to know-"

"Know what-"

"Danny is going to be different, he won't be himself, we have to be careful not to hurt anyone who might want to fight to come back- and to be part of our pack. Danny isn't- he isn't-"

"I know Cora, we all feel it already... We sense it like a dark cloud is lingering around us... He isn't himself anymore, is he?"

"Barely. We'll just have to be ready to remind him of who he really is. My dad is ready to plan how you'll protect the house. We need to change in ten minutes- tops." I tell him. He nods. "Then I'm heading out with the others." I say in finality, as I walk back to the other house.