Strangers ~ 10K/Reader

Since losing Cassandra 10K wasn't the same.

It hurt you to know the person you loved was in pain, especially when it related to another woman. The love 10K had for Cassandra was something you wished he felt for you. You felt like he was closer to you know she was gone.

The first night after losing her he cried himself to sleep in your arms. Your fingers running through his hair softly. You spent more time together hunting, having meaningless conversations about your worlds before the apocalypse.

He told you about his Pa, you told him about how you lost your family. The feelings you had for 10K had multiplied. You knew you were in love with him. The small smiles he would send your way when he thought you weren't looking, the pink that grazed his cheeks when Addy would joke about you spending time together, Doc patting him on the shoulder proudly claiming he wouldn't die a virgin. You were certain he must feel the same way for you.

10K was having another one of his bad days. The memories of Cassandra filling his thoughts. You followed him in to the surrounding trees to where you had set up camp. You tried to pull him in to a hug, but he pulled away from your grasp.

"It wasn't her, not anymore." 10K muttered, sitting down on a tree stump, covering his face with his hands. You wanted nothing more than to go over and pull him in to a comforting hug, to tell him everything was going to be okay.

"You did the right thing, 10K." You whispered.

"The right thing would have been not letting Murphy bite her." He spat. His arms now resting on his knees.

"You didn't know that he was going to do that, 10." You tried to reason. "Things will get better." You knelt down beside him.

10K didn't say anything to this, just kept staring off in to the distance.

"You'll always have me, 10K." You smiled towards him, his eyes remained hazy, as if looking straight through you.

"It's not the same." 10K mumbled. You weren't expecting this response from him.

"10K-" Your voice broke as a cough hitched in your throat. You felt the tears threatening to spill and you tried hard to stop them from falling.

"Please." You whispered, "I love you." You whispered, reaching up to put your hand on his shoulder but he quickly shrugged you off.

"Don't." He muttered darkly. It was a tone you hadn't heard from his lips before. You felt a painful pang in your chest at his words.

He didn't want you, he would never want you.

You stood up silently and made your way back to the camp, tears now falling freely from your eyes, you wiped the first few away but they kept falling so you kept your head down. Warren, Doc, Addy and Murphy sat around a small fire as you tried to avoid their gazes completely and instead made a beeline for the truck you had been travelling in, opening the back right side door and clambering inside, shutting it behind you. When the door closed you burst in to tears, unable to keep the noise inside. Your body shook in heartache as you tried to take in the rejection.

You had expected it, you shouldn't have asked it of him so soon after Cassandra's death. You just thought there may be a chance..

You were pulled from your thoughts as you heard the car door on the left open and close, someone climbing in beside you. You pulled at your hoodie sleeve, trying desperately to wipe away the tears from your cheeks. You looked to your left, ready to put a smile on your face but you ended up with a face of shock when you saw who it was.

"10K?" You whispered in confusion. He didn't say anything but instead shocked you by pulling you in to an awkward hug. Your head rest on his shoulder as his arm wrapped around your side softly. Your body melted in to his, your heart beating faster.

"I'm sorry." He whispered quietly.

"For what?" You murmured.

"I just don't-" He trailed off. You didn't need to hear the rest, tears started falling freely once more and you cursed yourself for being so embarrassing.

Your tears wet his shoulder, dampening the material of his shirt. 10K pulled away from the hug to stare in to your eyes. His thumb coming up to wipe the tears away from your cheeks.

"Don't say it." You muttered. You didn't need to hear the words.

10K looked at you awkwardly, obviously not used to crying women. You sat there crying pathetically, your face red and puffy. 10K's hand awkwardly rubbing your back.

The man you were in love with didn't want you. Why would he ever want you?