Target Practise Pt 1 ~ 10K/Reader

You squeaked and held the knife in front of you, pointing it directly towards the Z's head. The Z came storming towards you and you jerked forward slightly, pushing the blade through it's skull. The Z dropped to the floor and you nearly went down along with it, as your blade was still wedged in to its head. You let go of the handle and stared down at the Z which was now jumbled on the floor.

You tried to pull the blade from its head but it was wedged in tightly. You pressed your foot down on the Z's head and tugged, the blade came out but you went flying backwards on to your butt, cursing out loud.

"Oww," You whined, blowing the hair that had fallen in to your face away with a huff.

"Are you okay?" A voice spoke quietly and you jumped in shock, holding the blade up once more in an attempt to look threatening. You turned to look and it was 10K, staring at you in amusement with his eyebrow raised.

"I'm fine," You huffed, standing up rather ungracefully, and wiping the dirt from your behind.

"I've never actually seen you kill a Z before," 10K smiled and you glared slightly, was he trying to suggest you were weak.

"We weren't all bred for the apocalypse, Ten Thousand." You used his full name, wiping the bloodied blade of the knife on the fallen Z's shirt, before sheathing it back inside your holster again.

"I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just saying." You immediately felt bad at how you snapped at him and gave him an apologetic smile.

"Sorry, it's just. If you had told me 3 years ago that this was going to happen, I might have spent some time preparing myself. You know, gone on some shooting lessons, self defence classes.." You trailed off.

"So what did you do before the apocalypse." 10K asked with curiosity.

"I was at university studying History." You smiled at 10K as you began to fall in to step beside him, continuing to look around the small town you were in.

"My Pa said there was no point in studying. I could learn more skills with him." 10K looked almost regretful as he spoke.

"Look where that got you now though. You're my very own Bear Gryll's, as long as you don't make me drink my own pee." You smiled at 10K's confused then disgusted face.

"Why would I make you do that?"

"I dunno, for survival." You replied dumbly. You really had no clue.

"Well I've managed to survive 3 years of the apocalypse without doing that." 10K scrunched his nose up and he looked so adorable you had to stop yourself from reaching out and touching his face.

"I honestly don't know how I've managed to survive this long. I used to freak out when I broke a nail." You muttered, kicking the dirt with one of your boots.

"It's because you're a strong person," 10K said quietly, "You don't have to know how to use a weapon to have that survival instinct."

"Yeah, but knowing how to use a weapon would help." You grinned.

"I could teach you." You snapped your head around to stare in to 10K's eyes to see if he was serious.

"Oh no, I'd be terrible. I couldn't-" 10K cut you off.

"You can't be that bad. C'mon. I'll show you." 10K took the rifle off his shoulder and handed it to you, you fingered it dumbly, not even knowing where to begin.

"I swear to God, 10K. This better not be loaded. If I accidentally shoot you I'll be pissed, cause I don't know first aid either." You joked, but secretly hoped you wouldn't shoot your crush.

"The safety is on," But that didn't make you feel any safer.

10K moved the gun slightly so it was positioned against your body, he told you where to look through the view finder and how to position your hands. It would have probably helped if you hadn't been focusing on how his hands felt on your skin, touching you, and your mind began to race through dirty thoughts of how his hands would feel on other parts of your body.

"(Y/N), did you hear me?" 10K nudged you slightly, trying to get you to respond.

"Oh yeah, sorry. You pull this to take the safety off, right." You had been half listening, maybe.

"Yeah, and aim for something easy, like that tree trunk." 10K indicated to a large willow tree that wasn't much farther than you were. Your eyes squinted as you looked through the view finder and found everything came up a slightly different hue. Your arms began to wobble from the weight of the gun. 10K's arms came to rest on your hips as he watched you position yourself.

Why is it so heavy but 10K makes it seem like nothing. No wonder his arms are so strong.

"(Y/N)," 10K whispered in your ear as he waited for you to take the shot, all you could think of was his arms on you as you pulled back the trigger haphazardly, the bullet flying out. You moved the gun down from its position, and looked towards the tree. You were amazed.

The bullet had hit the tree, and although it was not centered, you had hit the mark. You grinned.

"I told you, you could do it." 10K smiled.

"You know, that was my first time firing a gun." 10K looked at you in disbelief. The groups you had travelled around with did most of the killing and hadn't really given you a gun or showed you how to use one.

"Don't look at me like that," You blushed at the look 10K was giving you.

"Like what?" He whispered.

"Like you're surprised I lived this long."

"It isn't that, (Y/N)" 10K whispered.

"Then what?" You asked.

"It's pretty awesome that the first gun you used was mine." He grinned, you blushed at the connotations that could have.

"Plus, I can teach you." He puffed out his chest slightly and this made you smile.

"Thanks, 10K." You reached up and placed a chaste kiss on his cheek.

"We should probably get back to the others," 10K motioned to begin the walk back to where you had set up camp and you followed behind him slightly, slipping your hand in to his own, your fingers tangling together. 10K's hand stiffened at first before relaxing and squeezing your own gently.

You smiled to yourself, everyone else may have thought you were weak, but 10K didn't.