Together ~ 10K/Reader

"Let's rest up here for the night." Warren parked the truck and turned off the ignition. You stared out the window and sighed slightly. What you wouldn't give for a bed right now. A warm, cozy bed. Actually, it didn't even have to be a bed. Even a couch would be better than this.

You hopped down from the back of the truck, stepping on to the grass. The area was surrounded by trees, which made you feel uneasy about not seeing approaching Z's but Doc assured you he would make the surrounding area Z-proof. You'd believe it when you saw it.

"10K, can you grab some wood to make a fire?" Warren called as she began to rummage through her bag for her canteen. Vasquez checked the tyres to the truck and Addy gave you a nudge, nodding towards 10K who was about to retreat in to the forest.

"Hey, wait up 10K. I'll help." You smiled towards him and gave a light jog to try and catch up with his footsteps. 10K gave you a small smile as you fell in to a comfortable stride together.

It's now or never. You took in a deep breath before you decided to speak.

"10K. I need to tell you something." You picked up some random branches. The bark 10K had chosen was already much more than your feeble pile.

"Those are wet." He muttered, motioning to your pile, seemingly ignoring your statement.

"Uh, okay." You abandoned the pile to turn around to look him in the eye, "I still need to tell you something."

"Yeah." He mumbled.

"I really like you, 10K. Like, a lot." You got no response to this as 10K continued to pick up wood for the fire. You shuffled on your feet awkwardly at this as you weren't sure how to take this.

"10K. Did you hear what I said?" You grabbed on to his shoulder, making him stop in his motions and turn to face you. He really looked like he didn't want to be in this position but his eyes met your own.

"What?"

"10K. It's always been you. I love you." You stared directly in to his eyes, trying to gage what his reaction was. He was straight faced and silent, directing his eyes towards the ground and adjusting the rifle upon his shoulder.

That was it, the emotion that had built up inside you for so long. The lingering looks you gave him which he returned when he thought you weren't looking. The times when he would stay up with you when you were on watch so you wouldn't fall asleep.

"We're just friends, Y/N." 10K whispered.

"We're not just friends, and you know it." You glared at him, how could he even try and say that to you. The way he was remaining so calm and collected was really starting to irk you, you had opened your heart to the young man and it was almost as if he didn't care.

"10K." Your lip quivered at the sound of his name, "Please don't tell me you don't feel anything for me. Don't lie to me." 10K remained silent, he still couldn't look you in the eyes and instead found the ground far more interesting.

"Yell, scream, say something!" You shouted at 10K's whose face remained stoic, "Anything." Tears started to trickle down your cheeks as you used your sweater sleeve to furiously rub them away. There was no way he was going to see you cry.

"I don't even know what to say anymore, 10K." You turned silently and walked back towards the campsite, forgetting your pile of branches. Addy and Doc busied themselves, pretending to not have been eavesdropping, but you knew they had been. It wasn't like you had been quiet about your talk with 10K.

You furiously yanked your sleeping bag out of its outer bag and threw it down on the ground in a huff, kicking your boots off and sliding inside, zipping it up and burying your head inside it. You shivered slightly from the cold but tried to ignore the chill. You heard everyone fussing over 10K when he returned with the wood they needed to start the fire, and this just made you more angry. You were secretly grateful when the fire was started, as even through your sleeping bag you could feel its warmth.

You woke up a few hours later, desperate for the toilet. You were even more cold now that it was the middle of the night. You tried to get back to sleep but it was in vain as you shivered, your teeth chattering, the movement making your urge worse. Unzipping the sleeping bag with a huff you stood up, shoving your boots back on and marching towards the trees.

Once you had relieved yourself you made your way back to your sleeping bag, knowing it was going to be so much harder to fall back asleep now, especially considering how cold your sleeping bag would be now it had lost all your body warmth and the fire being reduced to mere embers. You noticed 10K from the corner of your eyes, watching your every move.

"You a peeping Tom now?" You spat, with a lot more venom than you had intended and you immediately regret your words, whispering a curt 'sorry'. It was obvious he was only on Watch. 10K was always on Watch.

"Y/N." 10K started and you walked towards where he was sitting, as you reached him he stood so he was facing you.

"I'm sorry. About earlier, I didn't know what to say."

"I know there must be some part of you that loves me too, 10K. Please don't say you don't." You felt hot tears prick the corners of your eyes once more and cursed yourself.

10K didn't say anything but he kept his gaze on you, wondering whether he should brush your tears away or give you a hug, deciding against the notions.

"Stop pushing me away, 10K."

"I just don't want to have you now, just to lose you later." 10K shuffled on his feet.

"I want to be worth losing, you make me feel like there is a point to this fucking universe." You had cried more today than you had the whole three years of the apocalypse and frankly it was becoming embarrassing.

"What if I die tomorrow? What if you die tomorrow?" 10K reasoned.

"I'd do everything in my power to make sure that doesn't happen, but if it did at least I would know you loved me too." You whimpered, you sounded so pathetic.

10K didn't say anything, but you felt his arms wrap around you, his chin resting on your head. The tears fell harder now, soaking the front of his sweater. You wrapped your arms around his thin body, clutching desperately at his clothing, trying to pull yourself closer in to him.

You calmed yourself down as you pulled back from his sweater slightly to look up in to his eyes. His own hands came forward to brush the remains of the tears from your cheeks. You watched his adam's apple bob slightly as he swallowed, his tongue coming out to wet his lips. You stood up on your tip toes and pushed your lips against his own in a soft kiss, his hands still holding your cheeks gently.

When you pulled away he kept your face near his own, your eyes staring in to his.

"I love you." 10K whispered, you could feel his warm breath against your lips. Your heartbeat sped up at those words. The words you had waited so long to hear. You couldn't help but connect your lips together in a deeper kiss, bringing your arms up around his neck to hold him in place.

"It's not going to get easier." 10K breathed.

"I know, but we'll be together." You grinned.