Chapter 78

"Ian, do we have milk?" She pushed her glasses up closer to her eyes and looked deeper into the refrigerator.

"Uh no...I used the last bit this morning. I'm sorry Maddy." He had just gotten in a little after midnight. Shrugging his coat off he laughed at the sight of her halfway into the fridge. "I did get us donuts though...the good kind."

"Questions...where on earth did you get donuts at midnight? Why are you coming home at midnight and are you trying to fatten me?" She smiled and opened the box, scanning through the dozen of chocolate donuts.

"Dunkin Donuts opened a twenty four hour quick shop and you could use a few extra pounds." He laughed and bit into a chocolate chip donut.

"Don't lie to me Ian. Look I don't care where you got the donuts because they are delicious. What I care about is the fact that you stay out all day no calls no texts. I worry about you."

He sighed and set the donut down and looked her in the eye through her lenses. "I'm sorry Madz, I should have called I know. I guess I just needed some time alone...to think. I don't know."

"Ian," She held his face. "I know that you're confused and worried about both yourself and Jennifer but you need to let me help you."

"It's been days since that thing took me over. Is it gone now? For good?"

"I don't know Ian."

"If it is then I can go back to her...we can be together again." Hope filled his eyes and Maddy smiled.

"I want you guys to be together again honey. But we need to be careful. Maybe we can look for someone who's able to check you out. See if you're you again."

"And then what?" He slowly slid her glasses off so he can watch her directly in her eyes.

"What do you mean? If you're ok then you go back to her." She smiled and squinted her eyes a bit.

"I can't leave you, Maddy." His voice was a whisper and without warning she felt chills.

"I'll always be here for you Ian, no matter what."

"I don't think I know how to be without you now. You've stuck with me so long through all of the bullshit. How can I just leave you?"

"You have to go back to Jennifer. You love her." She brushed his hair back and started to get up off of the chair but he held her hand.

"I love Jennifer." His voice was low and so were his eyes but when he looked up at her they were moist and meaningful. "But I love you too."

A small gasp seeped through the opening between both her lips. "Ian I−

"I've fallen in love with you Maddy. I didn't mean to...it just happened. It's ok if you don't feel the same way I just thought that you should know."

"Ian I−

"I'm sorry to put you in this sort of situation. I know you didn't want this."

"Ian−

"I'll leave if you want me to."

"Ian would you shut up?" She yelled at him and he stared at her in silence.

She didn't say another word. Instead, she grabbed a hold of his jaw and pulled his mouth towards hers. Her lips felt soft against his and every glide of their lips together made him crave for more. Tangling his fingers in her blond hair he deepened the kiss which caused her to moan softly into his mouth. She wanted to kiss Ian since the first night he spent at her house. For months she had been watching over him but she never thought that she would know what his lips tasted like. She didn't even know that she wanted to taste them...now...she couldn't imagine a world without them against hers.