Chapter 66

His hair was soaked from the rain and scattered across his forehead. His clothes were damp and looked sticky and the bottom of his pants was stained with mud; but I still wanted to run into his arms and hug him until my arms hurt. My legs started to move towards him but the thoughts of Darcy made me stop midway.

"Did you come for your stuff?"

"My stuff? What stuff?" He pushed his wet hair out of his face.

"Your clothes and um...journal."

His eyes grew in size at the mention of the book and I felt my cheeks grow pink. "Shit, did you read that?"

"Of course not it seemed personal." I lied and folded my arms.

"Great, um anyway, I actually came to apologize about what happened last week."

"Listen Nick it's ok I−

"No it's not ok. You were right, Jennifer. I had no right to intervene that was wrong of me."

Why did he call me Jennifer? I like Angel better.

"I overreacted Nick, I'm not mad−

"You should be mad at me. And you were right. Ever since I came here I've been hitting on you and I know it makes you uncomfortable because you have a boyfriend so I'll stop that."

What? No, don't stop that.

"Nick really can you just listen−

"Truth is I um, I thought I was in love with you," He looked away from me as he spoke and rubbed the back of his neck. "But I realize now that it was just infatuation. I'm sorry." He made eye contact with me again and I swallowed hard.

"Uh yea...that's what I was gonna say." I lied.

He laughed and walked closer to me. "So what do you say? Can we be friends, Jennifer?" He looked at me impatiently and I realized that he was holding his hand out to me.

I hate this Nick. I really do. Where's the one that called me Angel.

"Y−yea of course." I smiled but pulled him into a hug instead of shaking his hand. His body felt tense against mine but this was the best I was gonna get. I closed my eyes and inhaled, getting a light whiff of mint and musk. I wrapped my arms around him tighter and smiled but not for long. My lips began to form a frown when he started moving my arms off of him.

"Is something wrong?" I was confused.

"Uh no, I um, I have some news for you." He smiled and walked away from me towards the door.

Don't leave.

"What news?" I walked towards him. I was prepared to grab his hand and demand that he stayed the second he stepped foot out that door. I stopped walking when I saw that he was just lighting a cigarette.

He blew smoke into the air and his eyes met mine. "Think I found a way to fix Ian."

That was the last thing I expected to hear especially from Nick. "Are you joking?"

"No I'm not. It's a bit hard to explain so I think you should just come with me. She wants to see you anyway."

"Who?"

"A new friend. Come with me." He held his hand out and disposed the used cigarette.

"I don't know where you're taking me. It could be dangerous." I didn't actually care how dangerous it was. Nick wanted me to go with him and I was going with him.

He smiled and approached me and for once he seemed like the old Nick. "Would I let anything happen to you Jennifer?" Angel! Call me Angel!

I returned his smile and took his hands. "Let's go."