Chapter 3

I knocked on the door at first but when there was no response I just walked in.

"Oh my god!" I exclaimed walking back out and closing the door. "Vince I am so sorry I didn't know you were changing."

I could hear him laughing inside. "It's not like you've never seen it before Jen."

"I know but, oh god I'm just really sorry." I said cursing myself in my head.

"No need to use such vile words Jennifer." He laughed walking out of the room fully dressed. "Is there something you wanted?"

"Uh, yes I have to talk to you about something." I said as we walked down the hall into the living room.

"What is it?"

"This morning, Adrian and I, we came across a body. A man was killed. I believe he was a werewolf." I explained. "I found a chain around his neck, one like ours."

"Where is it?"

"I gave it to Cate to check it out. There were some numbers engraved onto it. She might be able to figure out what it means."

"A dead werewolf." Vince said looking like he was in thought. "That's almost impossible."

"The way in which he died is even scarier. His blood was drained. All of it."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive." I said. "There were...."

"What?"

"Marks, like puncture marks, two of them on his neck."

Vince was silent.

"When I first saw the dead body, I immediately thought that it could've been.... Reid maybe."

"I doubt that it−

"What?" Ian was standing in the doorway. I didn't even realize that he was until now.

"Ian−

"What do you mean you thought that it could've been Reid?" He asked me. "He's dead." He looked at Vince. "He's dead right?"

"I'm afraid that's not true, Ian." Vince said.

"How could it not be true? I thought you killed him?"

"We all thought that I killed him. Turns out he survived... somehow."

"Well how do you know that?" Ian asked.

Vince turned to me. "Um, he sorta left me a voice message in my head." I said.

"Saying what?"

"That I haven't seen the last of him. He's gonna come back."

Ian didn't say a word afterwards. He did nothing but storm angrily out of the room. I followed him all the way outside right next to the upstairs balcony.

"Ian wait, Ian?"

"You lied to me." He said looking upset.

"I didn't lie to you."

"Well you didn't tell me the truth either Jennifer. Why didn't you tell me that the psychopath was still somewhere out there?"

"Because I didn't want this Ian. You were already stressed out about your sister. I didn't want to add to that."

"You should've told me Jennifer. He threatened you didn't he?"

"Is that why you're mad? Is that why you're so pissed that I didn't tell you?" I asked.

"What if he tried to hurt you? How would I even been able to help you if I didn't know?"

I smiled. "Ian, I'm a big girl. I could handle myself. Plus I've got a few tricks." I said glowing my eyes red for a second.

"Jennifer the gift of alpha is not enough to protect you."

"What do you mean?"

"I was able to take that from you pretty easily."

"Wow Ian thank you very much. That made me feel so much better about myself."

"How did Reid find us here anyway?"

"I'm not sure that it's Reid. That was just an assumption." I shrugged. "How's your sister?"

"She's doing great. Better than ever actually. She joined the swim team at her school, and the football team, and volleyball."

"Wow, she's really athletic that's great."

"All thanks to you. You saved her life. I really owe you Jennifer." He smiled.

"No you don't. I was happy to help your sister. She's a great kid."

"I'm still mad at you."

"What can I do to make you happy?" I asked.

"I hope you tell her that she gets to kill you because I know that's the only thing that'll make me happy." Adrian said walking next to me.

"Adrian." I said.

"I'm sorry Jen, I'm still getting used to this. I think you misunderstood the saying to keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I don't think they meant to move out and take your enemies with you."

"Adrian, Ian is not the enemy. He never was."

"Really well he sure seemed like the enemy to me. Still does."

"No offence taken." Ian said.

"Please, take offence." Adrian said.

"Adrian did you come here for a reason?" I asked.

"Oh yea, sorry your um serial killer boy friend side tracked me." He said. "Anyway, Cate couldn't figure out what the numbers on the chain meant sorry."

"What were the numbers?" Ian asked.

Adrian turned his head away.

I sighed. "Adrian, tell him the numbers please."

"I don't want to."

"Tell me the numbers then."

"That I can do, the numbers are 17873224."

Ian repeated the numbers and thought about it for a while.

"Do you know what it is?" I asked.

"I think it's for a location. The numbers 1787 is the code of most Californian addresses and 3224 is a number used to refer to a valley. That's how they kept track of places long ago."

"A valley?"

"Oh man." Adrian murmured.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I took the guy's phone and I traced a call to−

"You said you didn't touch anything!"

"I also said that I would try to get along with your demon boy friend but we all know that's not happening."

"Go on."

"I traced the last call he made which was about an hour before we found him on the ground. The call was traced to a building which happens to be in a valley. San Joaquin Valley."

"Coincidence?" Ian asked.

"I don't think so. We have to check it out. We need to go."

"I'll come with you Jen but he needs to stay here." Adrian said talking about Ian.

"Adrian−

"It's ok." Ian said.

"Just come with me Adrian."I said leading the way out of the house.