Ch.59 Locked book

At Brooke's house, Elena showed Olivia Ramona's necklace along with Brooke who was examining it.

"So this necklace is enchanted with fairy magic and that's how it made Ramona stay behind?" Olivia said.

"Yes" Elena said "It protected her from my mother's dark magic, so I was thinking that if it's powerful enough to protect from dark magic, maybe it's powerful enough for us to cross the town line. And if it works, we'll be able to go to New York and look for Bella and Brutta."

"Well it's worth a shot" Brooke said "But one of you guys have to wear the necklace since I'm the only one who can cross the line."

"I'll wear it" Elena offered.

"But how are we all going to cross the line when I'm the only one not protected?" Olivia asked.

"You will be" Brooke said "Once we get in the car, Elena will put on the necklace which hopefully will protect the whole car with us inside, and that should be able to let all of us cross the line."

"Alright then" Elena said "When do we leave?"

"How about Saturday?" Olivia suggested.

"I'm in."

"Great" Brooke said "I should get packed, you guys should too."

"Actually we'll leave later" Elena said "My phone is still charging."

"Suit yourself" Brooke said as she went away.

After that Elena and Olivia went into the living room as Elena checked her phone that was still charging.

"Hey look at all these books Brooke has" Olivia said as she opened a wooden bookcase with a bunch of books on the shelves "She has like every fairytale story that was ever written, here's our story, there's Macy's story, Francis's story, whoa wait a minute."

"What?" Elena said.

Olivia pulled out a small brown leather book with the words 'The Author' written on the front with a marker.

"The Author" she read with a surprised look.

"What?" Elena's eyes widen as she looked at the book.

"Why would there be a book titled 'The Author?" Olivia wondered "And why is the title written with a Sharpie?"

"And why is it locked?" Elena pointed to the locked seal that held the book closed.

"I don't know, but why would Brooke have this?"

"Hey" Elena's face lit up "If it's titled The Author, maybe it's show us something about the Author, we gotta open it."

"How? Where's the key?"

"Uh, here" Elena picked up an antique key that was on a shelf "See if this is the one."

Olivia took the key and stuck it into the keyhole of the lock.

"Wait" she suddenly said "Should we really be doing this? I mean, what if it's locked for a reason?"

"Well what could the reason be?"

"Well-".

"Hey guys!" Brooke called "Can you help me with this?!"

"We'll try later" Elena suggested as Olivia put the book back into the shelf as they went away.

But after they did, it stood dead silent in the living room until the leather book slipped out of the bookcase and onto the floor with the key still in the lock, and soon, the key turned as it unlocked the book.

Now in her motel room, Brooke couldn't stop reading the note Wendell gave her, on how it made her heart flutter as she remember their kiss. But her thinking came to a stop when there was a knock at the door.

"Wendell thank good you're back" she smiled as she opened the door, only to be shocked to see that it was Wendell's mother.

"Ms. Erwin" she gasped.

"Where is he?" Ms. Erwin demanded as her dog started to growl "Where is my son?"

"Uh" Brooke said as she looked at the snarling dog with fear "I don't know."

"You're lying, my dog can smell him on you, now where is he?"

"I don't have to tell you anything" Brooke scowled.

"Heal" Ms. Erwin commanded her dog as she walked in and closed the door leaving the dog out as she turned to Brooke "Now why were you with my son?"

"I was following your advice" Brooke frowned "Living life instead of just writing about it."

"You foolish girl, you should of gotten as far away from him when you had the chance."

"Why? So your secret will remain buried? Yes, Wendell told me the truth about his father and the others, that you murdered them."

"He really did a number on you didn't he" Ms. Erwin said with a sad look "You think you know a tall tale with you see one, because I didn't kill anyone, don't you understand, it was Wendell."

Brooke showed her doubt "You expect me to believe that that amazing guy I danced with tonight, is a killer?"

"I didn't want to believe it either" Ms. Erwin said sadly as she sat down in a chair "He was always a troubled little boy, his father and I hoped he'd grow out of it. Until one night he was having his tea in the parlor when I heard a thump, I raced in to find him dead on the floor. Wendell was there, paralyzed with shock. After the doctor left, my thoughts went to him, what effect to see his father die would do to his already disturbed mind, so I went to try to comfort him, expecting to find him crying but he wasn't, instead he was smiling, I thought I was imagining things, but then I saw the Daphne plants on the bedside table."

"Daphne plants? You mean-".

"The ones with the poisonous berries, he poisoned his father."

Brooke gave a mad look as she crossed her arms.

"You're lying" she said "If what you're saying is true you would of gone to the police."

"How could I?" she said as her eyes water "He's my son, and I blamed myself, I thought that if I kept him close I would somehow fix him, but there's no fixing him, he poisoned the next 2 husbands as well."

"Get out" Brooke ordered "Before I call the police."

"You don't have to believe me, just stay away from Wendell, he takes the things you care about, and destroys them."

And with that she got up and went out the room, leaving Brooke alone, wondering what to believe.

"It's just a bucket of fiction that's all" she said to herself.

But then a thought came to her, she raced to her purse and pulled out her quill and ink case and opened it, and to her shock, the quill and ink were gone.