The proposal

A chapter in their lives

Today is the first rainy day in Costa Rica since we arrived. Harry wanted to spend his twenty-second birthday under the sun and away from real life, because let’s face it, it’s not always easy, and he booked us a house in the depth of this beautiful country, where we could enjoy both the beach and the forest, as well as the sun and the heat.

Though we aren’t exactly alone–his parents being in a house nearby–on this rainy day I lie beside Harry with no intention of getting up whatsoever. We had a great dinner last night with the family, got drunk with everyone on the resort, but this morning it’s just time to sleep it off.

Harry agrees. 

I can tell from the way he nuzzles his nose into my neck and whines every time I try to turn on my side. The rain is heavy and plays a soft music in the background as it falls against the glass windows covering every wall of our bedroom, forcing us to sleep for a couple more hours before my eyes are wide opened and my stomach growls with hunger.

“I’m gonna be the worst future-husband in the world,” Harry breathes as he settles his mouth beside my ear, his arm snaking around my stomach to pull me closer. I raise an eyebrow at him but I’m not even sure he can see me with his eyes half-closed. “I’m not getting up to make you breakfast.”

“I didn’t ask you to,” I smile as I brush a piece of hair behind his ear.

He sighs against my shoulder. “I know, but I feel like it’s my duty to get up and make you breakfast. I’m just so good here.”

The bed is indeed probably the most comfortable bed in the world. “You’re the birthday boy. I should be the one moving my ass out of this bed to bring you breakfast.”

“You’ve given me enough yesterday. And last night. Twice,” he smirks and rolls on top of me, covering my naked body with his own. “I’m the luckiest man on Earth to be able to call you my fiancé.”

Fiancé. It still sounds weird to my ears to hear it out loud.

We still haven’t made a proper public announcement about it, but some One Direction fans have figured it out. They’ve seen us in public, especially on the plane and at the airport recently, and they’ve put two and two together when they noticed the ring on my ringer.

It’s not exactly subtle. Though it’s a simple, thin white gold band, the round diamond occupying its center catches the eye easily. It’s the most beautiful ring in the world, from the most incredible man in the world. 

“Have you thought of when you’ll announce it?” I ask curiously, because we still haven’t really talked about it and some fans are getting antsy. 

He shrugs. “Most of them already know, El. All they want to know is how and when I proposed. They just want to hear the story.”

I press my lips quickly to his as he holds his body above mine with his forearms. “And are you gonna tell them the real story, or are you gonna tell them a fairy tale story?”

“It was a fairy tale story,” he argues, pouting. Maybe for us it was, but for the rest of the world I understand why it would seem normal. “You didn’t like how I proposed?”

My heart sinks as he rolls off of me and lies on his back. “Harry, that’s not what I meant. Your proposal was the most amazing moment of my entire life,” I supply, hoping he loses the sad face.

“I thought so, too, but now you’re making me rethink things,” he breathes. 

“Don’t,” I force as I sit up, kneeling on the mattress by his side. “I never expected a fairy tale story, honey. I didn’t want a trip to Paris and a proposal under the Eiffel Tower, or an expensive night at the restaurant and you getting down on one knee in front of everyone.”