Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Though her words are genuine, her voice is low and serious, almost like a warning. I force my best smile to hide the tingles of fear in my body. "It's good to see you again, as well. Tour's been good?"

"It's been proper great. You like the hair job on him?" she asks as she points her thumb towards Harry, who is standing next to me against the wall. I nod and look at his hair while he self-consciously pushes it back, keeping his eyes down the hall instead of looking at us. "Well, I think we should go in because you two have a lot of explaining to do."

Harry loudly catches his breath and straightens up before rolling on the balls of his feet, following his best friend inside. I enter the apartment last, all glares on me as I stand by the closed door. Liam is sitting on the sofa, his elbows resting on his knees and he's watching me.

"So it's true, then," he confirms quietly to himself as he presses his hands on his knees to get up. "I do have to admit, though, you look extremely good, love."

"Thanks. You look very good, too."

I feel the familiar warmth as soon as he envelops me in a hug, his scruffy cheeks brushing against mine and tickling my skin. His shoulders feel so much broader than they used to be, but he hasn't changed at all. "You haven't changed one bit," he says as if he hears my thoughts. "At least you've got more meat on your bones."

Beside me, Harry snickers and I push myself from Liam's arms. "Are you calling me fat?"

"No," Liam replies quickly, his eyes widening as he takes me in from head to toe. "Elena, it's not what I meant. You just look so much better than you did last time I saw you. A lot rounder and healthier; it's a good thing."

I roll my eyes and ignore the chuckles coming from the curly boy. The apartment looks exactly the same as last time I was here. Picture frames and knick knacks that I've noticed before are still in their place, hung on the walls or sitting on shelves by the television. I can see the door to the bedroom I occupied for a little while up the stairs, Liam's bedroom door opened right next to it. Everything is so familiar.

"I am better, thank you," I finally agree when my self-conscious temper has calmed down.

"Now, I believe you should all sit," Liam demands and we comply wordlessly, each taking a seat awkwardly on the sofa. Harry sits by my side while I sit on the edge, but he keeps a comfortable distance between our legs. His anxious breathing is uneven but instead of patting his leg like I normally would before telling him to relax and that everything is going to be okay, I concentrate on Liam, who's now pacing back and forth in front of us. "How long as this been going on, Harry?"

From his response, I assume Harry has raised an eyebrow, but I don't dare to look at him. "Mate, I proper had absolutely no idea. I found out, like, two days ago."

"Fuck off, mate," Liam angrily hisses, stopping in front of Harry as his face turns a bright shade of red. I almost stand in front of Harry to protect him but I hold myself back and watch his face turn completely blank and pale. "We've been back for like, two days, and you already got her back here? What the fuck is wrong with you?"

I shake my head. "Liam, you've got it all wrong."

"Elena, for Christ's sake. Please don't take his side, this time. You have nothing to be afraid of. He's just a proper piece of shit who couldn't keep it in his pants unsupervised for moe than two days."

"Do you really think this low of me, Liam?" Harry shouts back at him, pushing his hair back in a nervous habit.

"Yes!"