Chapter 36

Chapter 36

After a shower, lunch and no news from Harry, I start doing some coursework until my phone ringing stops it. Never have I worked on Wednesdays unless I was on vacation, which is why I'm surprised to see the restaurant calling me at this time.

"Hello?"

Carol, my boss, clears her throat on the other side of the line before speaking. "Elena, good afternoon. How are you?"

"Hi Carol, I'm fine, how are you? How was your trip?" I knew she was getting back from her extended Christmas vacations this week, and I still haven't seen her since.

"Brilliant, thank you for asking," she replies slowly, though her voice is a little bit more formal than it usually is. "Listen, Elena. I have been told that there was a bit of a commotion last week by the restaurant. Is that correct?"

"Yes," I mutter uncertainly, though I remember very well getting mobbed after my shift at work.

Carol takes a few seconds to continue, but her voice loses its softness. "There was a bit of a situation this week, and I thought I should tell you about it." My silence is her cue to keep going. "On Monday evening, the restaurant got very crowded, young girls asking for you and for a certain boy band member named Harry Styles, do you know anything about this?"

"Yes, he's a..." I trail off in search for the appropriate way to describe Harry, so I go with the best I can. "He's a very good friend of mine. What happened?"

"They broke a window and harassed our clients," she supplies. "We had to close the place for the evening I didn't want to inform you right away in case there had been some kind of misunderstanding, but then I had a confirmation after searching a little bit." I don't bother concealing my gasp when she tells me that some fans broke a window, I never thought it would go as far as causing damage. How they found out where I work in the first place is a mystery, but who would purposely commit such a crime for a band? "I'm very sorry, Elena, but for those reasons we're going to have to let you go."

Another gasp emerges from the back of my throat. "What?" I say stupidly, because really, what she said makes pure sense.

Carol apologetically sighs. "You're a great employee, Elena, and if you ever need references, it'll be my pleasure to write you a letter. It breaks my heart to have to do that and I know it isn't your fault, but we cannot afford to have any more damage done to the place. I sincerely hope you find another place and you deserve the best."

My voice trembles as I thank her, not sure of what else to say in a situation like this. I look at my phone for several minutes after hanging up, the screen turning off and locking up like it's supposed to.

The conversation was so short, it doesn't even seem real. I barely even remember answering the phone and it was just a few minutes ago. I can't even comprehend what happened, or how to react, which is while I hold on to my phone and barely even blink. The job itself wasn't what I want to do with the rest of my life, but it was still a job nonetheless and I need to work. Living with Harry may have its advantages, or owning a credit card that has just a little less than a hundred thousand dollars on it, but it doesn't mean I can rely on him for the rest of my life.

I mute the TV and close the book sitting in my lap, my mind completely elsewhere than in my coursework where it's supposed to be. It isn't like I have to focus on that, since from now on I have the entire weekend off. Does it mean I have to go give my uniform back? And my nametag? How am I going to go back there without feeling completely humiliated? I know it isn't your fault, she said, and it really isn't my fault. Then why do I have to pay for that?

A small tear rolls down my cheek, probably from the shock because it really was just a part time job, and I dial the familiar number without even caring about what happened today. "What?" Harry answers harshly, annoyance clear in his voice.