Chapter 28

Chapter 28

I block away the questions and I run to the door, almost sliding on my ass as I run outside and hit the wet pavement from the rain. I don't look back to see if I've been followed, I simply speed walk along the street and walk around the building where I know there's a bus stop. However, I'm startled when my phone rings loudly in my headphones, Lorde's voice chirping with Royals but the number on the screen flashing Unknown. "Hello?"

"Elena." Deep voice with British accent, my heart stops at the sound of it. "Elena?" he asks, this time, probably not sure whether or not I'm still on the line after hearing his voice.

"Liam," I breathe, voice trembling. "How can I help you?"

I hear voices in the background but I focus on him not to think of who it could be. He says something to someone and then clears his throat in the receiver. "I'm at Starbucks right across the street. Why don't you meet me there?"

Starbucks. When I look around, I spot the said Starbucks right across the street from where I'm standing frozen in place from the phone call. I can't see him through the window, but I assume he wouldn't be stupid enough to sit by a window in the middle of London. It's like asking to be spotted. I wonder how he can see me if I can't see him. I wonder how he recognized me so easily, maybe he's seen things on Twitter, and why he would even ask me to go talk to him, or if Harry told him that we fought and –

"Elena, are you even listening?"

I'm still frozen in the sidewalk and people are walking past me without noticing. At least I haven't been followed from what I know. "Yes, sorry. What were you saying?"

"I was just asking you what you were doing in the middle of the street," he chuckles. "Get over here, now."

I can't move. I can't get my legs to walk forward and cross at the light, or my eyes to look away from the shop window. It'd be the perfect escape for now, nobody could see me inside, but I don't seem to be able to move. "Liam, I don't think it's a very good idea that I get seen with two members of One Direction in..." I trail off, searching for the right word after what happened today. "In the same decade."

The second I start walking away, his voice comes blaring in an angry hiss in my headphones. "Elena, get in here right now, before I come to you. You won't like it."

So I end the call and turn around, crossing the street at the light as soon as the little white walking man flashes. As soon as I walk inside the shop, I spot Liam sitting in the back of the place with his hood on top of his head. There's a girl next to him that I've seen on pictures, trending on Twitter and Tumblr, but she's a different girlfriend than the one I've met.

I take my time ordering myself a double chocolate Frappuccino with skim milk, because the longer I stay in line, the dryer the tears are going to be on my face. I don't want Liam seeing me like this, not after all that's happened. But he eyes me closely, keeping a conversation going with his girlfriend without taking his eyes off of me. I hope she knows who I am, or else it would definitely be awkward for her.

"Elena," Liam greets me, getting up from his seat to kiss my cheeks. He raises an eyebrow on my appearance but doesn't press. "Good to see you again. This is my girlfriend Sophia."

Sophia gets up too, leaning in for cheek kisses as well. "It's nice to finally meet you. I've heard so much about you." So she's heard of me, I tell myself nervously as I sit down at their table. I have a sudden urge to drink my Frappuccino in one shot.

"How was your holiday season? Had fun with Harry's family, yeah?" Liam starts, resting his elbows on the table as he sips on his own drink.

"Please get to your point now so I can go," I snap, not wanting to go into details. I still feel the glares on me and I know Liam hasn't asked me to come here just for a small chat. "I've had a bad day, I just want to go back home," I justify.